Help me know about - Newcastle City Please !

Watch
username5217024
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
1) Are you from Newcastle or closeby cities?
2) Where do I find some friends to check out places?
3) What is your name and How you know about Newcastle?
4) Is there any Christian churches closeby?
5) Which are the adventurous places closeby?
6) How is the Night Life for Students?
7) Any movie theatres close to University?
8) What are the parttime jobs students usually do?
9) What's the best thing about this University?
10) What was your experience of living here?

- Not searching for Official answers with University Links-
- Need to understand about the place from everyone in TSR except official Univ rep-

Thanks a ton !
Kareena_697
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I am. from India recently got admission in Nottingham Trent university
HobgoblinGold
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by JOSHKOIKKARA)
1) Are you from Newcastle or closeby cities?
2) Where do I find some friends to check out places?
3) What is your name and How you know about Newcastle?
4) Is there any Christian churches closeby?
5) Which are the adventurous places closeby?
6) How is the Night Life for Students?
7) Any movie theatres close to University?
8) What are the parttime jobs students usually do?
9) What's the best thing about this University?
10) What was your experience of living here?

- Not searching for Official answers with University Links-
- Need to understand about the place from everyone in TSR except official Univ rep-

Thanks a ton !
I can help you out with some of these questions, though I don't go to University in Newcastle. Out of interest, where are you from and what will you be studying?

1&3) I live in a town 20 minutes away from Newcastle, but I know the city well

2) It should be easy to make friends during Freshers week and there seem to be loads of active societies where you can find like-minded people. I guess it's the same as any other big Uni in that respect

4) There are plenty of Churches around Newcastle and there is a modest Cathedral near the main train station. I'm not a practicing Christian myself, but I know that Northumbria has a lot of religious history, if you're interested in that. Search for Durham Cathedral, Lindisfarne and Hexham Abbey - these are ancient Christian sites which you'll be able to visit easily

5) Sorry, but I don't quite know what you mean by adventerous places. A lot of adventure sports go on around the city. If you're looking for outdoorsy areas then you have the Area of Natural Beauty running up the coast to Scotland, as well as Kielder Forest Park and the Northumberland National Park fairly close by

6) The Newcastle nightlife is *brilliant* - theres so much to cover that I can't go into enough detail on TSR. I know its been voted the best city in England for nightlife in papers and surveys, so you won't have to worry about getting bored. For live music you have loads of independent gig venues as well as your usual O2 Academy. There's the Metro Radio Arena for the bigger acts. It's held The Who, the Arctic Monkeys and both of the Gallagher brothers in the last year or so. People describe the Pink Triangle as the best gay village in the country, though non-LGBT people are welcome. There's so many pubs and bars its obscene - google the Bigg Market and the Quayside, they're probably the main areas other than the city center. You have a very wide choice of nightclubs and lots of them have theme nights and student nights. I should mention that Newcastle is a cheap town to go out in - the cost of a pint is often under £3 and you get a lot of student deals too

7) You have cinemas in 'The Gate', a leisure complex less than a ten minute walk away from the business school. Tyneside Cinema is a nice indie alternative. If you get the train from the central station to the Gateshead Metrocentre you have a massive cinema complex - its a two/three minute journey across the river Tyne.

8) A lot of students work as shop assistants or event promoters. The Metrocentre was the biggest shopping mall in Europe (- actually it still might be) and theres another big shopping mall called Eldon Square in Newcastle, plus then there are all the city center shops, so I'm guessing it isn't hard to find somewhere. I hope I'm not sounding like a tour guide by now. Of course the Students Union should have jobs too.

9) The campus is pretty. Obviously I can't really comment on the University because I haven't studied there

10) I couldn't choose my best experience of Newcastle, but I can recommend a few things you'll want to try while you're around town. The Chinese New Year celebrations and the Summer Pride Festival are really good fun. Every year theres a live music festival held in city venues called Hit the North, its really cheap and it attracts a lot of decent modern indie bands. A lot of Olympians come to compete in the Great North Run, which is the worlds biggest half-marathon race and its free to watch. The Hancock Museum is ran by the Uni and is a good free way to spend a few hours. And of course you'll want to attend a football game at St James Park at least once. Newcastle aren't the best team in the Premier League but as a completely biased fan I can tell you the atmosphere is pretty unique. Cup games are £5 to £10

I hope this has been helpful to you. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions.
username5217024
Rep:
?
(Original post by HobgoblinGold)
I can help you out with some of these questions, though I don't go to University in Newcastle. Out of interest, where are you from and what will you be studying?

1&3) I live in a town 20 minutes away from Newcastle, but I know the city well

2) It should be easy to make friends during Freshers week and there seem to be loads of active societies where you can find like-minded people. I guess it's the same as any other big Uni in that respect

4) There are plenty of Churches around Newcastle and there is a modest Cathedral near the main train station. I'm not a practicing Christian myself, but I know that Northumbria has a lot of religious history, if you're interested in that. Search for Durham Cathedral, Lindisfarne and Hexham Abbey - these are ancient Christian sites which you'll be able to visit easily

5) Sorry, but I don't quite know what you mean by adventerous places. A lot of adventure sports go on around the city. If you're looking for outdoorsy areas then you have the Area of Natural Beauty running up the coast to Scotland, as well as Kielder Forest Park and the Northumberland National Park fairly close by

6) The Newcastle nightlife is *brilliant* - theres so much to cover that I can't go into enough detail on TSR. I know its been voted the best city in England for nightlife in papers and surveys, so you won't have to worry about getting bored. For live music you have loads of independent gig venues as well as your usual O2 Academy. There's the Metro Radio Arena for the bigger acts. It's held The Who, the Arctic Monkeys and both of the Gallagher brothers in the last year or so. People describe the Pink Triangle as the best gay village in the country, though non-LGBT people are welcome. There's so many pubs and bars its obscene - google the Bigg Market and the Quayside, they're probably the main areas other than the city center. You have a very wide choice of nightclubs and lots of them have theme nights and student nights. I should mention that Newcastle is a cheap town to go out in - the cost of a pint is often under £3 and you get a lot of student deals too

7) You have cinemas in 'The Gate', a leisure complex less than a ten minute walk away from the business school. Tyneside Cinema is a nice indie alternative. If you get the train from the central station to the Gateshead Metrocentre you have a massive cinema complex - its a two/three minute journey across the river Tyne.

8) A lot of students work as shop assistants or event promoters. The Metrocentre was the biggest shopping mall in Europe (- actually it still might be) and theres another big shopping mall called Eldon Square in Newcastle, plus then there are all the city center shops, so I'm guessing it isn't hard to find somewhere. I hope I'm not sounding like a tour guide by now. Of course the Students Union should have jobs too.

9) The campus is pretty. Obviously I can't really comment on the University because I haven't studied there

10) I couldn't choose my best experience of Newcastle, but I can recommend a few things you'll want to try while you're around town. The Chinese New Year celebrations and the Summer Pride Festival are really good fun. Every year theres a live music festival held in city venues called Hit the North, its really cheap and it attracts a lot of decent modern indie bands. A lot of Olympians come to compete in the Great North Run, which is the worlds biggest half-marathon race and its free to watch. The Hancock Museum is ran by the Uni and is a good free way to spend a few hours. And of course you'll want to attend a football game at St James Park at least once. Newcastle aren't the best team in the Premier League but as a completely biased fan I can tell you the atmosphere is pretty unique. Cup games are £5 to £10

I hope this has been helpful to you. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions.
Thank you that was overwhelmingly a good review about the place and locality. By adventurous places I mean, Places where I can go for diving, trekking, waterfalls, caves, sanctuary or hilly stations etc would be remarkably a great experience for me. Is there any such places around? Feel free to use messages too, I am ok with either way.

About me, in a nutshell, http://prntscr.com/rppvmn

Hope to hear more from other TSR members too. @Kareena_697 and everyone, please share your perspectives too.
Last edited by username5217024; 6 months ago
HobgoblinGold
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by JOSHKOIKKARA)
Thank you that was overwhelmingly a good review about the place and locality. By adventurous places I mean, Places where I can go for diving, trekking, waterfalls, caves, sanctuary or hilly stations etc would be remarkably a great experience for me. Is there any such places around? Feel free to use messages too, I am ok with either way.

About me, in a nutshell, http://prntscr.com/rppvmn

Hope to hear more from other TSR members too. @Kareena_697 and everyone, please share your perspectives too.
No worries, I'm glad to help.

I have never tried diving so I can't offer advice there. For trekking and hill walking, you will have to travel outside of the city but there are lots of places in the North Pennines and in the places which I mentioned in Northumberland.

Out of interest, whereabouts in India are you from?
username5217024
Rep:
?

I have never tried diving so I can't offer advice there. For trekking and hill walking, you will have to travel outside of the city but there are lots of places in the North Pennines and in the places which I mentioned in Northumberland.

Kochi, Kerala
username5217024
Rep:
?

Hey, Can I Have one more help?

Since you are staying 10 mins away most probably you can help me a little I hope, Do you have any friends or acquaintances from Newcastle University?

I just wish to meet some students who are currently pursuing renewable/ sustainable Energy from the university. It doesn't matter if they are undergraduates or postgraduates.

Thank You
username5217024
Rep:
?
Hello Guys anyone online who can share their views about Newcastle Please?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (47)
16.04%
I'm not sure (8)
2.73%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (100)
34.13%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.37%
I'm not a current university student (134)
45.73%

Watched Threads