The Student Room Group

Creative Writing MA/MLitt Decision Help!

Hello,I've recently been offered a place at University of Glasgow and the University of Aberdeen for their Creative Writing MLitt programs. I've also been invited to an interview at Bath Spa for theirs. I'm waiting on decisions from Edinburgh, Stirling, NUI Galway and St Andrews. Anyone have advice on where to pick?! From what I've read St Andrews and Bath Spa have the best programs but I am very curious about the cities. I'm Canadian and the only place I've been is Bath out of everywhere I applied to. I think I would prefer a smaller town vibe but I do love being surrounded by history and culture. Let me know what you think/your experience!
Original post by magicalrachael
Hello,I've recently been offered a place at University of Glasgow and the University of Aberdeen for their Creative Writing MLitt programs. I've also been invited to an interview at Bath Spa for theirs. I'm waiting on decisions from Edinburgh, Stirling, NUI Galway and St Andrews. Anyone have advice on where to pick?! From what I've read St Andrews and Bath Spa have the best programs but I am very curious about the cities. I'm Canadian and the only place I've been is Bath out of everywhere I applied to. I think I would prefer a smaller town vibe but I do love being surrounded by history and culture. Let me know what you think/your experience!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/good-university-guide-in-full-tp6dzs7wn

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2019/jun/07/university-league-tables-2020

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Reply 2
Hi! So I'm going to study an MA Creative Writing in September (not 100% sure on the uni yet. I'm stuck between 2, both of which have given me offers and one has given me a scholarship). I've had a lot of advice from people who've studies MA's/ teach creative writing across the UK, my undergrad was in English and Creative Writing at the University of Warwick so lots of my tutors helped out. From what I've found, the general best way to pick your course for Creative Writing is based entirely on which one suits your needs most - look at what you write (both form and genre) and have a look if there are any tutors that have similar interests at prospective universities, as you want to have a good supervisor for your independent projects.

If you are into small town vibes then you probably will really like St Andrews, it's small, beautiful, with lots of historic interest, and it's a very well respected university. Bath, Edinburgh and Glasgow are all also beautiful - I've heard a lot of good things about Edinburgh's course. That being said, all of the universities you've mentioned are great options and it's best to pick what you think will help you grow as a writer the most.
Original post by CWPG22
Hi! So I'm going to study an MA Creative Writing in September (not 100% sure on the uni yet. I'm stuck between 2, both of which have given me offers and one has given me a scholarship). I've had a lot of advice from people who've studies MA's/ teach creative writing across the UK, my undergrad was in English and Creative Writing at the University of Warwick so lots of my tutors helped out. From what I've found, the general best way to pick your course for Creative Writing is based entirely on which one suits your needs most - look at what you write (both form and genre) and have a look if there are any tutors that have similar interests at prospective universities, as you want to have a good supervisor for your independent projects.

If you are into small town vibes then you probably will really like St Andrews, it's small, beautiful, with lots of historic interest, and it's a very well respected university. Bath, Edinburgh and Glasgow are all also beautiful - I've heard a lot of good things about Edinburgh's course. That being said, all of the universities you've mentioned are great options and it's best to pick what you think will help you grow as a writer the most.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I think I'm leaning towards Bath Spa and NUI Galway at the moment, I keep going back and forth. Best of luck with your decision!
Reply 4
Original post by magicalrachael
Thanks so much for your thoughtful reply! I think I'm leaning towards Bath Spa and NUI Galway at the moment, I keep going back and forth. Best of luck with your decision!

Thank you, you too - I'd just say go with your gut!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending