NemesisRider
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
PAT 2019 Paper: https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/...inal-46208.pdf
My solutions: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JT...1k3T7W34v2pjmq

As you may know, the 2019 PAT (Physics Aptitude Test) paper can now be found online on the Physics Department website. Unfortunately, Oxford do not release official solutions for the PAT. For this reason I have created a detailed set of handwritten solutions for the PAT 2019 based off my own work and the post-exam threads here at TSR. I hope next year's applicants will find these of use - as far as I know these are the first freely available PAT 2019 solutions online. If you have any reasonable suggestions of places where my answers might not seem correct, please let me know! Additionally, feel free to contact me if you have any further questions about my solutions. ~ NemesisRider

IMPORTANT NOTICE: on Q24, part c, the graph states Wc against Fmax. I have drawn Fmax against Wc; the shape is right, but please be aware that the axis would be swapped to be fully correct.

EDIT LOG:
V1 (4.4.20): Corrected letter answer to 1 from A to D.
V2 (18.4.20): Fixed Q12 - poor diagram and incorrect answer of A, now corrected to B.
V3 (12.9.20): Added disclaimer.
Last edited by NemesisRider; 2 months ago
FormerTailor
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For question 1, the answer is 4 but the choice is D not A

Also, how did you know the shapes of the graphs for q8? Is there a trick to drawing complex functions?
Last edited by FormerTailor; 6 months ago
NemesisRider
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Apologies on that one. Small slip on my part, will try and fix it ASAP.

As for how to draw complex functions, I don't think there's a trick beyond practice. With Q8, understanding the symmetry was more important than the true shapes of the graphs themselves - for example, with e^(-x^2) the x^2 term tells you the function is symmetrical as x^2 is the same for positive and negative values. Generally squared terms without any additional function that might make them change sign (e.g. sin(x) means sin(x)x^2 is not always positive) are a good thing to watch out for, if a question of that style came up again.
Last edited by NemesisRider; 6 months ago
MoscowTutors
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Shouldn't be L=lamda/4 for Q12?
NemesisRider
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Further research reveals it should indeed be that. I think my diagram was a bit misleading (to even myself lol). I will try and correct that question, though it'll probably need a rescan (won't be til Monday). Thanks for the help

EDIT: fixed version now online. The scan quality is different but there's not much I can do there, I'm afraid!
Last edited by NemesisRider; 5 months ago
MoscowTutors
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Looks good now. You are welcome!
NemesisRider
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
If people are struggling with mine for any reason, there is another released unofficial mark scheme now that may provide slightly different solutions: https://oxfordpat.wordpress.com/2020...ford-pat-2019/
atimaheshwari
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by NemesisRider)
PAT 2019 Paper: https://www2.physics.ox.ac.uk/sites/...inal-46208.pdf
My solutions: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JT...1k3T7W34v2pjmq

As you may know, the 2019 PAT (Physics Aptitude Test) paper can now be found online on the Physics Department website. Unfortunately, Oxford do not release official solutions for the PAT. For this reason I have created a detailed set of handwritten solutions for the PAT 2019 based off my own work and the post-exam threads here at TSR. I hope next year's applicants will find these of use - as far as I know these are the first freely available PAT 2019 solutions online. If you have any reasonable suggestions of places where my answers might not seem correct, please let me know! Additionally, feel free to contact me if you have any further questions about my solutions. ~ NemesisRider

EDIT LOG:
V1 (4.4.20): Corrected letter answer to 1 from A to D.
V2 (18.4.20): Fixed Q12 - poor diagram and incorrect answer of A, now corrected to B.
for q24 c, shouldnt the axes be the other way around. the question asks for wc against Fmax. this will change the graph
NemesisRider
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Yes, you're right, it should be the other way around. The ultimate effect is the same as what I had but reflected in the line y=x. I imagine making that mistake in an exam would not result in a large penalty - the shape is right, it's quite a misread of the question!

Honestly, this mark scheme could have been better, but it was my first time doing something like this. I didn't want students trying to do PAT prep over lockdown without a decent free 2019 mark scheme, as was the case when it first went online. Errors like that can slip in when you rush and don't have anyone willing to peer review! I'll add a note to the first post stating the correction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (190)
29.41%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.41%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.98%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.36%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.89%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.88%
Other things ā€“ I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.25%

Watched Threads