Esthervr
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hello! I’m Spanish and I’m going to durham this October to do a physics degree, but lately I’ve been a lot of videos and comments talking about its classicism and some xenophobia. I’m kinda scared of that. Is it true?
inu x
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi! I've got an offer to do Spanish at Durham this year (2020), and obviously I haven't been there yet so I cant speak about its classism and xenophobia first hand, but I'm sure it'll be welcoming!
Esthervr
Rep:
?
(Original post by inu x)
Hi! I've got an offer to do Spanish at Durham this year (2020), and obviously I haven't been there yet so I cant speak about its classism and xenophobia first hand, but I'm sure it'll be welcoming!
Nice!! In which college are you alocated?
gghgggd5ht
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Esthervr)
Hello! I’m Spanish and I’m going to durham this October to do a physics degree, but lately I’ve been a lot of videos and comments talking about its classicism and some xenophobia. I’m kinda scared of that. Is it true?
I’m an international student going to be studying physics there too. I think the majority of offers this year went to people from state schools so I’d say there will be little classism if that helps
Esthervr
Rep:
?
(Original post by gghgggd5ht)
I’m an international student going to be studying physics there too. I think the majority of offers this year went to people from state schools so I’d say there will be little classism if that helps
Yes! It does help!!
burntcherrio
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
im pretty sure they are aware of the stereotype , that's prob why they gave loads of international offers this year. ill be doing math there in October, st aidans
Claisen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Who cares? Sod whatever a minority might think and get on with your degree at the university you wan to get it from.
Jss545
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, I'm currently studying law at Durham. I'm not an international student myself but, I am from what I guess would be considered a "working class" background so I can shed some light on the classism issue.

Generally speaking, I can't say I or any of my friends (a number of which are from very impoverished areas of the UK) have experienced any serious classism. It's definitely been an issue in the past and I dare say that remnants of it still linger as I've come across my fair share of very self-entitled and privileged individuals while studying. However, on the whole, I would say the vast majority of students at the uni are very welcoming regardless of your class or their class. Something to remember as well, is that the minority of potentially classist individuals is just that; a minority. You'll quickly find a group of friends that are accepting and don't even bother thinking about such petty measures of social standing.

Again, I can't really comment on the xenophobic aspect not being an international student myself. However, what I would say is that there are an incredible amount of international students at the university and I have never sensed any overt hostility towards them. Of the international students that I know personally, none of them have expressed any fears of being discriminated against by other students. Not to mention there is a very large contingency of Hispanic and Latin American students at the university (there are Hispanic and Latin American societies that are both very popular). I don't want to claim to be an authority on this of course but, as far as I can tell most people are very welcoming at the university regardless of your gender, sexuality, class, nationality etc. So I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

To be honest no matter where you go you'll, unfortunately, find bigots of all kinds and sadly Durham isn't an exception to that. However, you shouldn't let that decide where you go or what your experience of that University is. The bottom line is that, while there are some not so great people at the University there are far more wonderful and accepting ones.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jss545; 7 months ago
tsr3278329
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
This is definitely my worry. After speaking to students at durham and also watching youtube reviews (you should watch Elizabeth Jane and Adama Kabba on youtube), both students at durham who experienced classism and racism; so much so that Adama dropped out and went to another university and Elizabeth completed her degree but wasn't sure that, if she could go back, she would have ever picked durham again. Hearing these stories of racism, classim and even sexism definitely made me consider another university unfortunately. I definitely don't want to scare you or others but this is just after doing my research and these are serious issues; so it outweighed the positives for me. I do realize that durham does have many positive attributes to it though; and if another student (POC especially) has information that would be quite nice.
Jss545
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by tsr3278329)
This is definitely my worry. After speaking to students at durham and also watching youtube reviews (you should watch Elizabeth Jane and Adama Kabba on youtube), both students at durham who experienced classism and racism; so much so that Adama dropped out and went to another university and Elizabeth completed her degree but wasn't sure that, if she could go back, she would have ever picked durham again. Hearing these stories of racism, classim and even sexism definitely made me consider another university unfortunately. I definitely don't want to scare you or others but this is just after doing my research and these are serious issues; so it outweighed the positives for me. I do realize that durham does have many positive attributes to it though; and if another student (POC especially) has information that would be quite nice.
Hi, don't know if you've seen my comment above but I've addressed some of the issues you've mentioned.

I'm not an international student myself and so obviously cannot speak with a first-hand experience on that aspect but, as I said in my previous comment unfortunately this isn't just an issue at Durham it's endemic to prestigious universities. You'll find that at any of the Universities that also have high prestige such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrew's etc. that there is a minority of bigoted people.

While by no means am I discounting the experiences of people who have had to deal with flagrant racism, sexism or any other kind of bigotry I think it would be rash and unfair to say that it should be a genuine reason for someone to avoid Durham. People of working class and of different ethnic backgrounds and nationalities have incredible experiences at Durham, myself included.
tsr3278329
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jss545)
Hi, don't know if you've seen my comment above but I've addressed some of the issues you've mentioned.

I'm not an international student myself and so obviously cannot speak with a first-hand experience on that aspect but, as I said in my previous comment unfortunately this isn't just an issue at Durham it's endemic to prestigious universities. You'll find that at any of the Universities that also have high prestige such as Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St. Andrew's etc. that there is a minority of bigoted people.

While by no means am I discounting the experiences of people who have had to deal with flagrant racism, sexism or any other kind of bigotry I think it would be rash and unfair to say that it should be a genuine reason for someone to avoid Durham. People of working class and of different ethnic backgrounds and nationalities have incredible experiences at Durham, myself included.
I have an offer at durham currently and after hearing those experiences it turned me away from durham, but the information you're giving me here now gives me a bit of hope!
could you outline some positives and negatives of durham uni? this would be a HUGE help for me, (especially as open days are now shut.)
It's just that those were the only reviews I had available and so watching them painted a wholly negative view of durham.
Jss545
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by tsr3278329)
I have an offer at durham currently and after hearing those experiences it turned me away from durham, but the information you're giving me here now gives me a bit of hope!
could you outline some positives and negatives of durham uni? this would be a HUGE help for me, (especially as open days are now shut.)
It's just that those were the only reviews I had available and so watching them painted a wholly negative view of durham.
Yeah not to worry, I suppose my point is just that you can find negative things about any University but it'd be a waste to give up on Durham because of two individual reviews.

Negative aspects:
- There are definitely some people who are entitled, privileged and bigoted.
- There is a big drinking culture (sometimes excessively so).
- A lot of the accommodation is overpriced.
- Sometimes it feels as though you're in what students call the 'Durham Bubble' which is where you feel like you can't get away from people (I've not experienced this personally but I can see how it might happen).
- The city centre can become very congested.

Positive aspects:
- Highly prestigious and well-respected courses and University in general.
- Beautiful city.
- Diverse and welcoming community.
- Collegiate system builds a real sense of community spirit.
- Attentive and helpful staff.
- Engaging and challenging courses.
- Loads of really great societies and events.
- Really close to lots of natural beauty.
- Well-maintained and modern facilities.
- Access to a wide range of opportunities.
Anonymous #1
Report 7 months ago
hi I am also from a European country and going to Durham this fall. I was worried about this matter too, but I talked with a friend of mine that goes there and told me that she really loves it there and nothing significantly insulting has occurred to her. There might always be these kind of people but its nothing bad and overall most of them are very kind and nice to her so I wouldn't be scared about it.
stressqueen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi so I want to just give you a reply I gave to a similar person from another thread x
TL;Dr: Don't let the behaviour of a small minority (behaviour which no matter which uni you go to, you may encounter one way or another (just a fact of living in Britain) stop you from going to a university, especially if the course is right for you

Hiya I'm also a Durham offer holder, from a low income background and a POC. I'm in a similar position to you as I've been doing my own research into Durham and it's issues of classism. I dismissed Durham for the longest time because I had read a lot of stuff online which painted the university as this cesspool of discrimination, however, whilst I won't deny that classism and microagressions do exist in Durham, I would be mindful of attaching that impression on the whole university. There's now a much greater proportion of state school students going to the university, they also have a society dedicated to helping state school students adjust to moving to university (the 93% club). In addition, it seems to be that most of the less pleasant behaviour is prevalent amongst the older, more traditional colleges, where more privately educated students reside. (I hope this doesn't sound to rambley btw )

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if every minority person avoids Durham for fear of experiencing an -ism, how is Durham going to have the chance to diversify and grow as both an institution, and some of the students within (because it is especially important to note that the repulsive behaviour is only from a minority of students)? Everyone is different in how they deal with negativity, I for one am of the mindset that if I worked hard to get to a position, I will embrace that and own that and no one (not even the classist pos) can take that away from me - so I guess it's also about deciding if you're going to let the behaviour of the minority impact your decision to attend a fantastic academic institution.

One last thing, this may sound weird but I highly suggest avoiding the Student Room and other forums when such an important decision. Better you go on YouTube and watch videos on the university, attend the virtual open day, contact students at the uni via their uni website, contact your allocated college, visit the affiliated websites ( i.e student Union ect), hell go on Google maps and visit Durham on street mode - it's better to look at the university as a whole objectively rather than base your decision making on just one source. I only say this because I was doing the same thing as you for a while and it really clouded my judgement of Durham academically.

I hope this has been of some help to you x
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
If you checked the news recently about a guy named Richardson whos an upper-class undergraduate studying history at Durham apparently he was part of the rapist gang named the posh lads, which they were planning to drug the poor girls from a working-class background and rape them. It's all true and it's disgusting. The lack of diversity, racism and utter disgusting situations like that definitely put me off at Durham.
kdnt7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
If you checked the news recently about a guy named Richardson whos an upper-class undergraduate studying history at Durham apparently he was part of the rapist gang named the posh lads, which they were planning to drug the poor girls from a working-class background and rape them. It's all true and it's disgusting. The lack of diversity, racism and utter disgusting situations like that definitely put me off at Durham.
It's no excuse though these 'lads' had not yet arrived at Durham and one had their offer withdrawn. Maybe think about the types of schools they went to. I'm a third year student from Manchester and can honestly say I've never met any of these sort of 'lads' and if I did I'd report them to my college. It's horrible, but check out news reports about Exeter, St Andrews etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (88)
27.85%
No - I have already returned home (40)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (61)
19.3%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
10.13%
No - I live at home during term anyway (95)
30.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise