2.25%
For exceptional Circumstances (30)
33.71%
perplexed turtle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I am personally against the death sentence- believe that the punishment for a crime wins over vengeance. Regardless of the magnitude of the crime, it shouldn't be implemented. Agree or Disagree?
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm against the DP
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Against it in principle simply because i don't think the government can be trusted with that sort of power. On the flip side i'm hardly going to cry if a serial killer is put against the wall.
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Just looking at the statistics before and after capital punishment was abolished in this country (effectively 1964 but officially 1969), we can see that the homicide did shoot up around 1966, and had doubled ever since then. The biggest argument against these statistics is that "correlation is not causation"; you can attribute the rise of the homicides to population growth, or other factors, but it does seem, to me, to be evident that there was some amount of causation when the abolishment took place. It's only logical that more people will commit more atrocious acts when they know they won't face appropriate justice.

Being against the death penalty on the grounds of innocent people being killed is as cavelier as saying you wouldn't have taken part in the second world war because a few innocents would die. It's a necessary action to protect the people in this country.

Name:  stat.png
Views: 62
Size:  14.9 KB
Last edited by Joel 96; 9 months ago
Joel 96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Obolinda)
I'm against the DP
Why?
Capitalist_Lamb
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Joel 96)
Just looking at the statistics before and after capital punishment was abolished in this country (effectively 1964 but officially 1969), we can see that the homicide did shoot up around 1966, and had doubled ever since then. The biggest argument against these statistics is that "correlation is not causation"; you can attribute the rise of the homicides to population growth, or other factors, but it does seem, to me, to be evident that there was some amount of causation when the abolishment took place. It's only logical that more people will commit more atrocious acts when they know they won't face appropriate justice.

Being against the death penalty on the grounds of innocent people being killed is as cavelier as saying you wouldn't have taken part in the second world war because a few innocents would die. It's a necessary action to protect the people in this country.

I mean the population has more than doubled since 1960. In 1960 the population was around 3 billion and now its more than 7 billion so that is probably why the homicide rate has increased.
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I'm against capital punishment, for any and all crimes.
No matter how evil the convicted offender or how horrifying their crimes.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Joel 96)

It would be slightly more honest if you posted the full chart...
https://fullfact.org/news/has-murder...was-abolished/Name:  murder_rate_crime_death_penalty_facts.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  19.4 KB
Last edited by Napp; 9 months ago
z-hog
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Capital punishment for whom?
LegalTom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
It could lead to ethnic cleansing. Certain ethnic groups and class in society would be disproportionately affected.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LegalTom)
It could lead to ethnic cleansing. Certain ethnic groups and class in society would be disproportionately affected.
In what universe does that make sense?
daisydoo1900
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If only the victim could answer this question!
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
our elaborate Criminal Justice System costs £billions to operate. after the economy has been wrecked by Wuhan Disease we may decide to save money by executing dirtbags instead of teaching them sociology and giving them Playstations™
PotatoFruit
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
The death penalty will not be effective because I don’t think many serial killers and terrorists fear death. they are probably too mentally unstable. Therefore any advantages of the death penalty is cancelled out by the possibility of innocents being wrongly executed
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by daisydoo1900)
If only the victim could answer this question!
Good point, some of the people on the virtuous side of the question might think again if it touched them or one of their loved ones.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by perplexed turtle)
I am personally against the death sentence- believe that the punishment for a crime wins over vengeance. Regardless of the magnitude of the crime, it shouldn't be implemented. Agree or Disagree?
Hitler?
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by z-hog)
Hitler?
Seems like an easy way out for someone of that magnitude
LegalTom
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
In what universe does that make sense?
Capital punishment if abused could be used on black men unjustly, black men which by the way are over represented in prisons compared to their population in society.
z-hog
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LegalTom)
Capital punishment if abused could be used on black men unjustly, black men which by the way are over represented in prisons compared to their population in society.
Which, in turn, is all the fault of white men. Correct?
Capitalist_Lamb
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Napp)
It would be slightly more honest if you posted the full chart...
https://fullfact.org/news/has-murder...was-abolished/Name:  murder_rate_crime_death_penalty_facts.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  19.4 KB
That is exactly what I was trying to say when I brought up the population increase. I knew this was cherry picking evidence as soon as I saw it lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (78)
18.1%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (124)
28.77%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (162)
37.59%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (54)
12.53%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (13)
3.02%

Watched Threads