The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Thoughts on Capital Punishment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Napp
Lol pull the other one.
You do know most of those countries on that list arent dictatorships, let alone of the 'worst kind'. I mean conflating Tunisia and DPRK is just ridiculous.

All the countries I described are Dictatorships apart from the USA.

These are places where there is no regard for human rights and they happily employ torture and of course capital punishments.

I forgot to include

Turkmenistan
Afghanistan
Uzbekistan
Tajikistan
etc
Reply 181
Original post by Lucifer323
All the countries I described are Dictatorships apart from the USA.

These are places where there is no regard for human rights and they happily employ torture and of course capital punishments.

I forgot to include

Turkmenistan
Afghanistan
Uzbekistan
Tajikistan
etc

No they aren't. some are autocratic, several are actually democratic and then theres a few autocracies/theocracies.

I find it weird that you're bashing these countries for employing torture and capital punishment but trying to brush aside the fact the US does as well? Never mind it actually employed several of these countries to torture on its behalf.
What exactly is 'etc.' meant to mean in this regard? Or are you simply using it to mean any country you feel like?
Original post by 1st superstar
So should only men and people who identify themselves as male receive a death penalty? Not us women? Cause women can't be convinced of rape... Or be labeled as "rapists"

I actually tried to put a bill to change this into MHoC but it got withdrawn due to controversy and other reasons
Original post by Napp
No they aren't. some are autocratic, several are actually democratic and then theres a few autocracies/theocracies.

I find it weird that you're bashing these countries for employing torture and capital punishment but trying to brush aside the fact the US does as well? Never mind it actually employed several of these countries to torture on its behalf.
What exactly is 'etc.' meant to mean in this regard? Or are you simply using it to mean any country you feel like?

I will say it again for once more that the countries I have described are all dictatorships. That includes autocracirs and theocracies. From Turkmenistan to Iran, and from Liberia to Bangladesh.
Reply 184
I will say it again for once more that the countries I have described are all dictatorships. That includes autocracirs and theocracies. From Turkmenistan to Iran, and from Liberia to Bangladesh.

Then you don't know what an autocracy is.
Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
It tends to be more fundamentalist christians, the american affiliated bible belt crowd and some otherwise liberal members of the CoE that favour capital punishment.

In my experience, most British catholics tend to oppose the death penalty.
But are more liberal as regards the police & military shoot to kill policy in relation to dangerous criminals or defending themselves/families/possessions against burglars.

I'm a bit surprised that there's such a large amount of Anglicans in favour of capital punishment - then again, Anglican realignment is a thing.

American Protestants do definitely support the death penalty from my experience.
Original post by vicvic38
I just tend to capitalise races. I did it with Latino as well, and I would do it with White, Asian or Polynesian.

It's probably not grammatically correct, but I'm consistent with myself.

Thanks for explaining - it's just not something I've seen before.
Obviously against the Death Penalty.

As I am trying to spice up the conversation and decade I can add that the UK is not:

North Korea
Vietnam
China
Saudi Arabia
Iraq
Iran
Yemen
Burma
Syria
Egypt
Morocco
Tunisia
Algeria
Libya
Nigeria
etc
Oops ... And the USA

Do we understand the argument now??

Certainly we are not like these countries. Except USA the rest have no regard for human rights and never had in the past. These countries are usually governed by brutal dictators and they are dictatorships of the worst kind. Of course they will employ torture & capital Punishment.

My friend Isaac's a second-generation Nigerian immigrant. Please tell him how Nigeria's a brutal dictatorship given that you have presumably never been to Nigeria.
And surely the USA being on that list goes against your claim that the death penalty's only used by brutal dictatorships?
Reply 186
The death penalty is just contextual murder, if the act can be justified then capital punishment should be implemented, acting as both protection and a buffer for people for society. However its pretty obvious the death penalty would eventually be abused and corrupted to be used as a tool by governments to cull dissidents and rivals (just look at China accounting for majority of execution)
I would endorse the death penalty if I had total faith that the government wouldn't eventually end up using it boost a groups singular needs, but instead used as deterrent and a punishment for those who commit the most aberrant crimes with absolute evidence only
I'm generally against the death penalty apart from in exceptional circumstances, for people like Hindley and Brady who were essentially just taking up space and oxygen in prison cells - until the very end all they cared about was blaming each other and trying to manipulate other people in campaigning for their release. Absolute waste of life.

Mind you, Brady did eventually want to die so perhaps forcing him to stay alive was the best punishment he could have had.
Original post by moggis
Cool. I’m sure many people are in favour of executing pedophiles .
However if we are going to do that we need to have parameters .
So what would be the youngest age at which a pedophile would be executed , 18 I take it ?
And what would be the oldest age of that 18 year olds victim or victims that would still lead to execution ?
Also how are we to define pedophile ? We need to know if we are going to be shooting them I reckon .

I ask partly because I personally know or used to know of no less than four couples who got together when the male was over 18 and the female was 15 or 14 .
Would we be shooting those males ? Or is it ok to have sex with an underage girl if you get married ?
Of course some men think getting married was worse than getting shot would have been but still .🙉

Then those people would technically not be peadophiles, as paedophilia refers to the sexual attraction of a pre-pubescent child, hence why the law has different sentencing guidelines for offences against children under 13 and those that are over 13.

Furthermore, the victim has to be at least 5 years younger than the offender, who also has to be over the age of 16.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Glaz
I actually tried to put a bill to change this into MHoC but it got withdrawn due to controversy and other reasons

Glad it got withdrawn :borat: doing DP's for only rape would be sexist...
Glad it got withdrawn :borat: doing DP's for only rape would be sexist...

The Bill was to make it that women could rape men...
Original post by Karisa96
I'm fore capital punishment, for some forms of crime, eg Murder, a life for a life, prison these days in my view is no deterrent, in alot of cases they have all the creature comforts of home, to me that is no punishment.

The 'threat' of Capital punishment wasn't a deterrent for those currently on Death Row.
Original post by Glaz
The Bill was to make it that women could rape men...

I see then IDK why people disagreed with it then
I see then IDK why people disagreed with it then

Because MHoC is filled with nutters
Original post by Glaz

Lol
Original post by Napp
Then you don't know what an autocracy is.

Is Nortn Korea a good example? I have mentioned them at my first post... First line ..
Original post by LiberOfLondon
I'm a bit surprised that there's such a large amount of Anglicans in favour of capital punishment - then again, Anglican realignment is a thing.

American Protestants do definitely support the death penalty from my experience.

Thanks for explaining - it's just not something I've seen before.

My friend Isaac's a second-generation Nigerian immigrant. Please tell him how Nigeria's a brutal dictatorship given that you have presumably never been to Nigeria.
And surely the USA being on that list goes against your claim that the death penalty's only used by brutal dictatorships?

You pick and choose what you say and one example does not disprove my claim. USA is a federation of states where 1/3 don't have the death penalty sbd the other 2/3 do have it. Even though most states haven't executed anyone in many years. Only a few states apply thr death penalty and Texas has most executions from every other state that actively employs capital Punishment.

The vast majority of countries that employ the death penalty & torture are indeed brutal dictatorships such as China, or Theocracies & Brutal Dictatorships such as Iran, or Autocracies & Brutal Dictatorships such as North Korea.

The rest is a mix of everything:

Afganistan
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
And the rest of the list...

Pretty much all countries that I have described. The vast majority of the countries that apply the death penalty are brutal dictatorships, and that's a fact.

Now you and Napp have been caught in this, supporting capital Punishment when the rest of the civilised world has abolished it.

Any capital punishments in Sweden? Denmark? The UK? Belgium? France? Italy? Greece? Germany?

Obviously not as these countries cannot be compared with the Theocracies and brutal Dictatorships around the world.
Original post by Glaz

There it is - the one thing me and you can agree on.
You pick and choose what you say and one example does not disprove my claim. USA is a federation of states where 1/3 don't have the death penalty sbd the other 2/3 do have it. Even though most states haven't executed anyone in many years. Only a few states apply thr death penalty and Texas has most executions from every other state that actively employs capital Punishment.

Your point being? Texas isn't a dictatorial theocracy last I checked.
The vast majority of countries that employ the death penalty & torture are indeed brutal dictatorships such as China, or Theocracies & Brutal Dictatorships such as Iran, or Autocracies & Brutal Dictatorships such as North Korea.

India has capital punishment and is a democracy...
The rest is a mix of everything:

Afganistan
Pakistan
Bangladesh
Turkmenistan
Tajikistan
And the rest of the list...

Pretty much all countries that I have described. The vast majority of the countries that apply the death penalty are brutal dictatorships, and that's a fact.

That doesn't mean capital punishment is inherently dictatorial - America and India have it and are functioning democracies.
Now you and Napp have been caught in this, supporting capital Punishment when the rest of the civilised world has abolished it.

Please do us all a favour and tell a heavily armed Texan he isn't civilised.
Any capital punishments in Sweden? Denmark? The UK? Belgium? France? Italy? Greece? Germany?

In that order:
Sweden abolished in 1973, Denmark in 1978, Britain in 1998, Belgium in 1996, France in 1981, Italy in 1948, Greece in 2004 and Germany in 1987.
There are people in my school right now who were born while Greece was still carrying out executions - the death penalty is definitely not some relic of a medieval age despite what you may think.
Obviously not as these countries cannot be compared with the Theocracies and brutal Dictatorships around the world.

Explain to me how America is a theocracy?
Original post by LiberOfLondon
There it is - the one thing me and you can agree on.

Your point being? Texas isn't a dictatorial theocracy last I checked.

India has capital punishment and is a democracy...

That doesn't mean capital punishment is inherently dictatorial - America and India have it and are functioning democracies.

Please do us all a favour and tell a heavily armed Texan he isn't civilised.

In that order:
Sweden abolished in 1973, Denmark in 1978, Britain in 1998, Belgium in 1996, France in 1981, Italy in 1948, Greece in 2004 and Germany in 1987.
There are people in my school right now who were born while Greece was still carrying out executions - the death penalty is definitely not some relic of a medieval age despite what you may think.

Explain to me how America is a theocracy?

Surely the UK didn’t abolish capital punishment in 1998 ?
It was abolished in the 60s to all intents and purposes.
If it was still technically on the books in 1998 I can only imagine it was for treason but wouldn’t have been enforced .
Nor can I imagine Belgium actually executing anyone from 1980 onwards .

Latest

Trending

Trending