The Student Room Group

Rude to not reply?

So, last year I started uni and became really close friends with this girl. We bonded over the fact that we were quite similar and were interested in things like astrology, academics, existential questions etc. We'd talk for literally hours sometimes about nothing, but then I noticed that throughout the year she started being late whenever we'd agree to meet. This was fine because I thought it was just part of her personality, but looking back, I think it was actually really rude of her to keep me waiting for so long. And I'm not being petty about 5 minutes or whatever, it would be an hour or two, if not longer. What made it worse is that she'd always say she'd only be a few more minutes but then would message again a few minutes later saying she'd need a bit more time, etc.

Anyway, we decided that we were going to live together this year with two of her friends and friends of her friends so that there were 6 of us. I agreed to living with them even though I didn't really know them that well because she kept telling me that she had a really good feeling about them. Fast forward to this year, I've grown to almost dislike her from living with her because everytime I see her in the house she asks me how I am, but it seems very disingenuous, as if she's asking out of mere politeness. Also, she always badmouths some of the people we live with and won't say it to their face and acts as if nothing's wrong when they're there, but then will complain as soon as they leave the room.

Also I've noticed that sometimes when it's just me and her in the kitchen she'll be on the phone and won't really talk to me unless I ask her something first or unless she has someone to ***** about. She also said that I'm one of her closest friends but based off the way she acts, I don't think she knows what close means. Like one time, she bailed on me to go shopping less than an hour before we were supposed to go because she was busy. Later that day, I found out she actually went shopping with another one of my flatmates that she doesn't actually like that much and constantly complains about. And something that pisses me off a bit is that when we do talk, she'll randomly say, "oh I wish (one of flatmates) was here, he's the glue that holds this house together." or she'll say that she misses him, literally when I'm talking to her about something unrelated.

This year I've definitely spoken to her less than when I didn't live with her. I speak to her about 15-20 a day, if that. I've gotten to the point where I'm actually glad when I don't have to see her. Just over a week ago, she messaged me about something mundane and at first I responded but then since she's been messaging making snide comments about other people. I've not 'read' any of the messages since because I'm not sure if I want to continue being friends with her, but at the same time I don't want to be rude and completely ignore her. Any ideas as to what I should do?
Original post by Anonymous
So, last year I started uni and became really close friends with this girl. We bonded over the fact that we were quite similar and were interested in things like astrology, academics, existential questions etc. We'd talk for literally hours sometimes about nothing, but then I noticed that throughout the year she started being late whenever we'd agree to meet. This was fine because I thought it was just part of her personality, but looking back, I think it was actually really rude of her to keep me waiting for so long. And I'm not being petty about 5 minutes or whatever, it would be an hour or two, if not longer. What made it worse is that she'd always say she'd only be a few more minutes but then would message again a few minutes later saying she'd need a bit more time, etc.

Anyway, we decided that we were going to live together this year with two of her friends and friends of her friends so that there were 6 of us. I agreed to living with them even though I didn't really know them that well because she kept telling me that she had a really good feeling about them. Fast forward to this year, I've grown to almost dislike her from living with her because everytime I see her in the house she asks me how I am, but it seems very disingenuous, as if she's asking out of mere politeness. Also, she always badmouths some of the people we live with and won't say it to their face and acts as if nothing's wrong when they're there, but then will complain as soon as they leave the room.

Also I've noticed that sometimes when it's just me and her in the kitchen she'll be on the phone and won't really talk to me unless I ask her something first or unless she has someone to ***** about. She also said that I'm one of her closest friends but based off the way she acts, I don't think she knows what close means. Like one time, she bailed on me to go shopping less than an hour before we were supposed to go because she was busy. Later that day, I found out she actually went shopping with another one of my flatmates that she doesn't actually like that much and constantly complains about. And something that pisses me off a bit is that when we do talk, she'll randomly say, "oh I wish (one of flatmates) was here, he's the glue that holds this house together." or she'll say that she misses him, literally when I'm talking to her about something unrelated.

This year I've definitely spoken to her less than when I didn't live with her. I speak to her about 15-20 a day, if that. I've gotten to the point where I'm actually glad when I don't have to see her. Just over a week ago, she messaged me about something mundane and at first I responded but then since she's been messaging making snide comments about other people. I've not 'read' any of the messages since because I'm not sure if I want to continue being friends with her, but at the same time I don't want to be rude and completely ignore her. Any ideas as to what I should do?

"being late whenever we'd agree to meet" - Girls take a lot of time to dress up and apply layers of makeup. Then when they are out, they don't come out alone, at least one of the other girl will be there with her and after both girls are done with the makeup it will be like what you felt.

"she'd only be a few more minutes but then would message again a few minutes later saying she'd need a bit more"- These ladies don't value you much. All they care about is their selfish needs. If you spent much, that's why she have kept you besides not because she loves u.

" I agreed to live with them even though I didn't really know them"- Don't agree blindly unless you are unaware for her next plans. There are ladies who bring in boys too, saying he is bf of another girl, and while you are away/out, the boy and your girl will have ulala ulaaala.... Hint: he's the glue that holds this house together." - So you know whats her plans are like.

"she always badmouths some of the people we live with" - She will be dating one or more guys and feels like nothing around her matters because she knows you like her.

"continue being friends with her"- Will bring you harm and will never allow you to check out other girls. Be just as friends and ignore her, as soon as you find some other girl.

I have experienced same. All the best.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by JOSHKOIKKARA
"being late whenever we'd agree to meet" - Girls take a lot of time to dress up and apply layers of makeup. Then when they are out, they don't come out alone, at least one of the other girl will be there with her and after both girls are done with the makeup it will be like what you felt.

"she'd only be a few more minutes but then would message again a few minutes later saying she'd need a bit more"- These ladies don't value you much. All they care about is their selfish needs. If you spent much, that's why she have kept you besides not because she loves u.

" I agreed to live with them even though I didn't really know them"- Don't agree blindly unless you are unaware for her next plans. There are ladies who bring in boys too, saying he is bf of another girl, and while you are away/out, the boy and your girl will have ulala ulaaala.... Hint: he's the glue that holds this house together." - So you know whats her plans are like.

"she always badmouths some of the people we live with" - She will be dating one or more guys and feels like nothing around her matters because she knows you like her.

"continue being friends with her"- Will bring you harm and will never allow you to check out other girls. Be just as friends and ignore her, as soon as you find some other girl.

I have experienced same. All the best.

Erhm, I get what you mean. But, these don't really apply to my situation as we're both girls and I'm not trying to date her.
Original post by Anonymous
Erhm, I get what you mean. But, these don't really apply to my situation as we're both girls and I'm not trying to date her.

Hmm, Since you dint mention about you, I assumed you as a boy.

In the perspective of girls, she prefers to wear more makeup just like you are. Only things which takes time is the selection of the materials she needs to apply. You can go over to her place once and check it out before you guys move out together for something, and from then you may have a clear picture of what she is doing there. After a visit from your side, she will make sure to be on time at least when you ring up in future.

Be aware of your unknown flatmates would help you understand more about them and safeguard your personal materials, like you can avoid stealing of your valuable panties, makeup kits etc.

"she always badmouths some of the people we live with"- You can explain to her your views, she may understand and learn from it. Share in a calm voice and don't be rude.

"continue being friends with her"- What things you felt went wrong recently?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending