How to fix social anxiety??

Watch
Hannahzx
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I have a high level of social anxiety and overthink every single thing and it affects my life hugely . I don’t know what to do to control this it’s ruining my life please help
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Klonopin
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
give an example, so I know what you're talking about.
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I’m really sorry but there’s not a simple fix. There IS however, lots u can do to try and make it better. Have you seen ur GP?
username5232128
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
There is no need to 'fix' anything. It's not like you're broken. You'd just like to build your confidence in social situations. Try re-approaching it from a different angle as it might make it easier to deal with. For example, why do you feel anxious in social situations? Once you've figure out a possible reason, try to find a way that you can work on it. At the end of the day, no one ever 'fixes' things like social anxiety, they just learn how to handle it and that's a lot easier than trying to find an impossible solution because, most likely, you'll never get rid of it, you'll just learnt to live with it. Like when someone has a phobia of heights, they don't get rid of that phobia, they just figure out how to handle it so that it no longer effects them in the same way
jack.snow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Firstly, try to relax. Fortunately, there are many techniques now, such as meditation. You can also read specialized literature on this issue. In addition, a visit to a psychoanalyst will be helpful. Best wishes to you.
sara15543
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Hannahzx)
I have a high level of social anxiety and overthink every single thing and it affects my life hugely . I don’t know what to do to control this it’s ruining my life please help
I have also suffered with social anxiety, this is what I did but remember it is different for everyone.
1. Got more comfortable talking about it with friends and parents -> eventually gp
2. Started cbt
3. Cbt didn't help me a lot so started medication (prozac) which helps a tiny bit but combined with a change in my frame of mind (maybe from cbt or because I'm more comfortable expressing my emotions in general) I feel a lot better
Blueclueless
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I have a diagnosed anxiety disorder (I’m sorry if I come off as harsh)

First off. There’s not a “cure” you can’t magically get rid of it, however learning to adapt is important.

First off find something that calms you, use that when you can

Think of the anxious part of yourself like an anxious friend, comfort that part of yourself and reassure yourself that you are never as strange and awkward as you think. Because you’re not.

Even Breathing is important, it’s common for anxious people to hold their breath unconsciously, breathe in for three seconds and breathe out for three seconds it’ll steady your heart rate.

Sweating heavily is also common, get good deodorant and keep it in your bag apply in bathrooms.
Chewing gum will help you feel less stressed as the primal part of your brain knows you wouldn’t be eating if you where In danger. Gum will also make your breath fresh which is always good.

When you get an anxious thought think to yourself “is that true or is it my anxiety?” You’ll learn to separate the stupid anxious thoughts from your actual thoughts.

Feel free to pm me for help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.38%
I don't have everything I need (139)
41.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed