The Student Room Group

Work Experience cancelled due to corona situation

Hi! I don’t know if anyone else is in the same situation as me: I had work experience booked for summer, but due to the whole lockdown situation, it’s all been cancelled. I write my personal statement in September and I won’t have any work experience.

What can I do in this situation? Is there any online opportunities that relate to work experience?

I really don’t know what to do because I know how important work experience is for medicine applications. Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hOkstudent
Hi! I don’t know if anyone else is in the same situation as me: I had work experience booked for summer, but due to the whole lockdown situation, it’s all been cancelled. I write my personal statement in September and I won’t have any work experience.

What can I do in this situation? Is there any online opportunities that relate to work experience?

I really don’t know what to do because I know how important work experience is for medicine applications. Any advice would be really appreciated :smile:

There’s a national call for NHS volunteers.
There’s a group of volunteers in every council.
Most care homes and councils are recruiting additional staff to cover staff absence.
There’s volunteer schemes in nearly every street to help older and vulnerable people.

There’s probably more opportunities to gain useful insight and experience this summer than any other year.
Reply 2
Wow, thanks so much for replying! By any chance, do you have any names of good websites or organisations which provide these volunteering opportunities?
Hi there!

I am so sorry to hear about that, we are in uncertain times at the moment and in a matter of weeks so much has changed!

If you wish to volunteer for the NHS, head over to their website here > https://www.england.nhs.uk/2020/03/your-nhs-needs-you-nhs-call-for-volunteer-army/

Nonetheless, there are other ways to make your personal statement stand out! Ivy Leagues in America have made an array of online courses free of charge. Maybe take this opportunity to learn something new over the summer, without a doubt it will show off your proactiveness! Check it out here > https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/ivy-league-free-online-courses-a0d7ae675869/

Otherwise, if you are looking for work over the summer, it will be a good idea to search for 'Key Worker' jobs. Many supermarkets will be looking for temp staff over the next few months due to high demand, and with that, you will be able to gain many valuable skills including teamwork, customer service, communication and timekeeping attributes.

Also, one thing I am doing now is learning a new language. Nothing too crazy, but one hour a day I am learning a little bit of Japanese (again things like this will add value to your personal statement!).

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best with your university hunt. If you have any questions at all feel free to ask.

Stay safe! :smile:

Meg
Final Year Business Management
Coventry University
Reply 4
Hi Meg,

Thank you SO much, I really appreciate your response and I can definitely say that I will be taking all of this on board.

Hope you stay safe too! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending