Pandagirlx
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
If you do A-level sociology can you tell me what you do in the course, please? Current yr12s and yr13s pls.
shamamaa
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I’m year 13 and do a level sociology.

In a nutshell, it’s about looking at societies institutions (education, law, the media, family etc) and various theories which offer explanations for what it means for individuals when interacting with these structural elements of society. E.g does the media spread the dominant ideology, or are we free to interpret things on our own?

In sociology I study Education, crime and deviance, culture and identity and the media with AQA. Education and crime and deviance is mandatory however culture and identity and the media is an option which the teacher usually picks. So you could end up doing beliefs in society or something instead.

So basically we just learn about these different topics in relation to their influence on society and individuals, and learn theories alongside this so we become critical thinkers and can evaluate the role of institutions.

Sorry this is probably confusing to read!
Pandagirlx
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by shamamaa)
Hi,

I’m year 13 and do a level sociology.

In a nutshell, it’s about looking at societies institutions (education, law, the media, family etc) and various theories which offer explanations for what it means for individuals when interacting with these structural elements of society. E.g does the media spread the dominant ideology, or are we free to interpret things on our own?

In sociology I study Education, crime and deviance, culture and identity and the media with AQA. Education and crime and deviance is mandatory however culture and identity and the media is an option which the teacher usually picks. So you could end up doing beliefs in society or something instead.

So basically we just learn about these different topics in relation to their influence on society and individuals, and learn theories alongside this so we become critical thinkers and can evaluate the role of institutions.

Sorry this is probably confusing to read!
Man, this is interesting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads