The Student Room Group

Is Computer Science an interesting a-level?

For any of you Computer Science a-level students how difficult and time consuming is this a-level? Also is it interesting or do you regret choosing it? And would you recommend computer science to be more relevant to engineering than economics?
Original post by Niketathecow
For any of you Computer Science a-level students how difficult and time consuming is this a-level?

While I can understand that you don't want to overburden yourself, ideally you won't be taking subjects because they're easy, or not taking them because they're difficult and time consuming. You should take CompSci because you have an interest in it.

If you're not interested in it, it probably isn't the subject for you. If you are interested, you shouldn't be put off by hard working because it'll only get harder if you wanted to take it at university.

Also is it interesting or do you regret choosing it?

I don't think answers to this are all that useful to you. What someone else finds interesting and what you find interesting may be totally different. Similarly someone else regretting their choice shouldn't really impact you.

And would you recommend computer science to be more relevant to engineering than economics?

CompSci is definitely more relevant to Engineering than Economics. But it's not directly relevant to either. It's relevant to Engineering in the sense of them both being STEM related subjects, but it's not like you need or even really benefit from CompSci specifically for either.

Generally speaking there are two reasons you might take CompSci. Either you find the subject interesting and want to study it, or you know that you want to pursue it further than A Level. For the latter, you'd typically build your A Levels around it. For the former, you wouldn't care about how challenging it was, or if it were a good fit for other subjects.

I'm guessing you want help picking A Levels, what subjects are you looking at and why?
I'm looking to take Art,Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then CS or Economics (in our school maths and further maths is one option and at the end of year 12 we drop an a level) and since i'm already taking art I didn't want to burden myself too much. But thank you so much for your advice
I'm looking to take Art,Maths, Further Maths, Physics and then CS or Economics (in our school maths and further maths is one option and at the end of year 12 we drop an a level) and since i'm already taking art I didn't want to burden myself too much. But thank you so much for your advice

Do you know what you want to do with these subjects? Judging from your first post, I'm guessing you're looking to go on and do Engineering at degree level?
Original post by username5204820
Do you know what you want to do with these subjects? Judging from your first post, I'm guessing you're looking to go on and do Engineering at degree level?

yes (sorry for the late reply i havent been on this site for a while)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending