Josh burns
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm currently studying in Year 12 and I'm going to apply for economics at the top universities. A lot of people said that I need to read books related to economics and one of the best way of getting accepted in is by merging ideas from a really good book into your personal statment.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what books I should read and talk about as this will help me .

Thank you
bluedae
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I recommend going on the websites of the universities you plan to apply to, look at their suggested readings/summer reading list. It is even totally okay to go for the most introductory books and popular easy reads on economics. You have just got to show interest; in actually reading about economics and in the content of the books.

Read, listen, interact with areas of economics that really fascinate you. You don't need to sound like you've suddenly become an expert in that area, it just helps you to again show that interest and willingness to engage.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
(Original post by bluedae)
I recommend going on the websites of the universities you plan to apply to, look at their suggested readings/summer reading list. It is even totally okay to go for the most introductory books and popular easy reads on economics. You have just got to show interest; in actually reading about economics and in the content of the books.

Read, listen, interact with areas of economics that really fascinate you. You don't need to sound like you've suddenly become an expert in that area, it just helps you to again show that interest and willingness to engage.
Thank you
Lillypher
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Josh burns)
I'm currently studying in Year 12 and I'm going to apply for economics at the top universities. A lot of people said that I need to read books related to economics and one of the best way of getting accepted in is by merging ideas from a really good book into your personal statment.

So does anyone have any suggestions on what books I should read and talk about as this will help me .

Thank you
I studied Economics at Uni and two books I would recommend are:

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
The Economic Naturalist by Robert H Frank (think you can download the pdf of this free online).

The second one would probably be more useful for merging into a personal statement but they're both pretty interesting reads.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lillypher)
I studied Economics at Uni and two books I would recommend are:

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man by John Perkins
The Economic Naturalist by Robert H Frank (think you can download the pdf of this free online).

The second one would probably be more useful for merging into a personal statement but they're both pretty interesting reads.
Thank you very much
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Get a subscription to The Economist magazine.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Get a subscription to The Economist magazine.
I looked around but I dont get whats so important about it
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I looked around but I dont get whats so important about it
Keeping up to date and informed with what's going on in the world?
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Try this reading list for first year Cambridge students

www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ba/PrelimReadingList.pdf

I know someone who is studying Economics at Cambridge, and the Varian book was recommended to her by a tutor. If her experience is anything to go by, they may well ask you a maths puzzle.

Oxford reading list for prospective students

https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxf...g_list_pdf.pdf

LSE

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un.../BSc-Economics

It would be good to look at an area of economics that interests you personally. There are many articles online about the economy, (particularly now) that may give you a starting point. Also watch documentaries on TV, and the news.

Plus have a go at tackling these questions

https://sites.google.com/site/oxbrid...ions/economics

My Cambridge friend particularly liked these 1,000 questions, which turned out to be useful practice. It has book recommendations too.

https://www.cambridgeinterviewquesti...rts/economics/

Once you have your area of interest, research it. There is a fair bit you can do whilst you are at home.

Good luck to you.
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Keep up to date with news articles around economics, and now with the cornavirus. Also I would recommend David Halpern Inside The Nudge Unit. It teaches the basics behind behavioral economics, but done from the perspective of the team that advised the 2010 government, and has lots of good examples and isn't technical
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago

Thank you
What I did was go to my local Waterstones, spend a solid 30-60 minutes reading blurbs of books in the economics/business sections, then pick out a couple that sounded the most interesting to me. By all means, pick a couple of books off your favourite Uni’s recommended reading list, but I’d also highly advise e.g. going onto Amazon or the Waterstones website and just looking through different books until you find something that seems particularly fascinating. Lots of people plunder undergrad reading lists - it’s almost taken as a given that you may have read one or two of them. If you can pick slightly different, unique books then it can help you to stand out (especially if you’re going to apply for Unis that interview). Good luck
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
What I did was go to my local Waterstones, spend a solid 30-60 minutes reading blurbs of books in the economics/business sections, then pick out a couple that sounded the most interesting to me. By all means, pick a couple of books off your favourite Uni’s recommended reading list, but I’d also highly advise e.g. going onto Amazon or the Waterstones website and just looking through different books until you find something that seems particularly fascinating. Lots of people plunder undergrad reading lists - it’s almost taken as a given that you may have read one or two of them. If you can pick slightly different, unique books then it can help you to stand out (especially if you’re going to apply for Unis that interview). Good luck
This, Mona, is EXACTLY the type of comment I am looking for. Look at the official reading lists, by all means, and read a couple of books but just as a starting point. Then go off piste.

My son used to browse for ages in Blackwells, then take photos of the books he wanted on his phone, then buy the books cheaply (preferably second hand) on Amazon.
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
This, Mona, is EXACTLY the type of comment I am looking for. Look at the official reading lists, by all means, and read a couple of books but just as a starting point. Then go off piste.

My son used to browse for ages in Blackwells, then take photos of the books he wanted on his phone, then buy the books cheaply (preferably second hand) on Amazon.
That’s exactly like me haha! I remember in Year 12, on a school trip to Oxford I spent ages in Blackwells and took a few photos on my phone about which books I really wanted to buy. One of them is currently sitting by my bedside table waiting to be read still

But yes - OP definitely at some point go off on a tangent and explore whatever interests you - please don’t let official reading lists constrain you!!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
That’s exactly like me haha! I remember in Year 12, on a school trip to Oxford I spent ages in Blackwells and took a few photos on my phone about which books I really wanted to buy. One of them is currently sitting by my bedside table waiting to be read still

But yes - OP definitely at some point go off on a tangent and explore whatever interests you - please don’t let official reading lists constrain you!!
My son used to make me feel like a heel by bringing me armsful of medical books as I sat patiently in the "husband chair" in Blackwells. There was me, rationing him to only one.

Once on TSR a girl said she bought 7 books from Blackwells "by accident". My son thought that was super cool.
Josh burns
Rep:
?
Thank you guys sooo much I'm going to order my first book tonight!!!!
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Thank you guys sooo much I'm going to order my first book tonight!!!!
Yay! Enjoy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (166)
59.07%
I don't have everything I need (115)
40.93%

Watched Threads