The Student Room Group

Change in career path

Hey guys sorry about this but I’m currently studying comparative literature and I still haven’t warmed to it even though I’m towards the end of my first year, and I’m thinking about joining the NHS and becoming a mental health nurse which will require me to study for three years, is it best to drop out and pursue that and study an extra year? I wonder if any of you have dropped out to study something else?
Original post by Honeyeyes
Hey guys sorry about this but I’m currently studying comparative literature and I still haven’t warmed to it even though I’m towards the end of my first year, and I’m thinking about joining the NHS and becoming a mental health nurse which will require me to study for three years, is it best to drop out and pursue that and study an extra year? I wonder if any of you have dropped out to study something else?

You need to work out whether this is something you really want to pursue - obviously there is no sense starting another course if you aren't totally sure as you could end up losing another year. Do you have any work experience or volunteering in nursing? If not, this is almost essential for a good application and would give you some insight into whether the field suited you.
Reply 2
No I don’t have any work experience however I thought midwifery would be a better course seeing as it would be amazing to have a hand in the process of bringing a beautiful new life into this world even though there is so much more to midwifery than just that but if I study it I will have the necessary experience. I won’t end up losing another year because I’m sure about this it’s different to comparative literature and although it requires a lot of work it’s rewarding.

Quick Reply

Latest