Your opinions on GCSE/ A-level History?

Watch this thread
AchyutChaudhary
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all,
Hope you all are doing good.

I just wanted to ask your opinions on GCSE & A level History. I do Geography for GCSE currently, not history (since I could only do 1) but I am planning to do A-level History from next year alongside Geography.
Hence, may I know what are your opinions on A-level History?

Is the transition from GCSE to A level History challenging? Do you find A level History hard?
Secondly, do you find A level History interesting to study (even if it is a hard subject)? Do you get to go on History field trips too?
Do we have coursework too?

Lastly, Is the GCSE and A-level content somewhat similar or are they completely different in your experience?

Many Thanks and take care ))
Last edited by AchyutChaudhary; 2 years ago
Lemonsandlemons
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Okay so with History you have to learn everything so that you piece together arguments with what you have learnt.
With Geography I think that more freedom is encouraged, you need to use your common sense more.

At A level the content and approach couldn't be more different. I dropped Geography at Christmas of year 12 cuz I hated it so much. History is much more straightforward, if you hand on heart learn everything and blurt it out in an exam you will be more than fine.
Raspberry2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AchyutChaudhary)
Hi all,
Hope you all are doing good.

I just wanted to ask your opinions on GCSE & A level History. I do Geography for GCSE currently, not history (since I could only do 1) but I am planning to do A-level History from next year alongside Geography.
Hence, may I know what are your opinions on A-level History?

Is the transition from GCSE to A level History challenging? Do you find A level History hard?
Secondly, do you find A level History interesting to study (even if it is a hard subject)? Do you get to go on History field trips too?
Do we have coursework too?

Lastly, Is the GCSE and A-level content somewhat similar or are they completely different in your experience?

Many Thanks and take care ))
In terms of content, there is more at Alevel for History and you have to link it to factors and think further about it rather than just learning it (basically you have to apply it). I do Tudors and the Cold war - I think the cold war is straight forwards enough and quite interesting, but I absolutely hate Tudors but you might like it... We went to vietnam for a trip but it depends on your school if you do any trips. Yes there is coursework, for AQA you have to study a period of over 100 years on a topic of your choice so I chose Russia, but some people chose civil rights in American or Conflict in Ireland
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I love A level history tbh. I find both my sides interesting. Actually I didnt find it challenging content wise even though I didnt even learn the content I learn at A level at all in GCSE but I do essay wise because of exam technique and marking criteria. Yes I find it hard but no A level is easy; I find it the second least hardest with Maths being the least and Physics the hardest. Yes I do find it interesting and the subject becomes easier if you find the content interesting. It depends on the school tbh but not really for my school. Yes we have coursework and what kind of coursework depends on your examboard. Tbh the content is similar to each other in terms of learning it and processing it in but you need to learn more things like statistics and historiography but its not that bad but again, I'm not that experienced since I didnt even learn my A level topics at GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (64)
15.84%
The paper was reasonable (197)
48.76%
Not feeling great about that exam... (101)
25%
It was TERRIBLE (42)
10.4%

Watched Threads