The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Applying to uni

Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and beginning to look at universities. I'm really interested in Oxford Brookes and I vaguely brought up the idea to my family and they hated the idea. My mum said no because its not good enough and my sister said no because it's too near and my boyfriend wants to go there as well and she doesnt think its a good idea for us to both go together. The thing is is that I still would really want to go there even if my boyfriend didnt. Does it matter if universities are too near to your home? (I live about a 50 minute drive from it). I also think my mum is overestimating me and she likes the look of Russell Group unis but I know how well I can do and its definitely not that well. So, if I stay interested in Oxford Brookes (I've looked around it twice, once with my boyfriend and the other with my school), how should I tell my parents I want to go there?
When I say my mum thinks it isnt good enough, i dont mean it in an offensive way its just shes expecting me to get A*s and the course at oxford brookes is BCC.
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
What course?

And what do you expect to get?
Original post by 13ybr1024
What course?

And what do you expect to get?

Sport and exercise science
BBC i think
Original post by rachelkernickxo
Sport and exercise science
BBC i think

If you can genuinely see yourself enjoying it there without your bf then go for it.
Original post by 13ybr1024
If you can genuinely see yourself enjoying it there without your bf then go for it.

yeah but what do u think i should say to my parents
explain how you feel and tell them you can go over the requirements it's fine
Original post by holly6901
explain how you feel and tell them you can go over the requirements it's fine

Yeah i know but they want me to go to like a Russell Group

idk ugh eek
Original post by rachelkernickxo
Hi, I'm currently in year 12 and beginning to look at universities. I'm really interested in Oxford Brookes and I vaguely brought up the idea to my family and they hated the idea. My mum said no because its not good enough and my sister said no because it's too near and my boyfriend wants to go there as well and she doesnt think its a good idea for us to both go together. The thing is is that I still would really want to go there even if my boyfriend didnt. Does it matter if universities are too near to your home? (I live about a 50 minute drive from it). I also think my mum is overestimating me and she likes the look of Russell Group unis but I know how well I can do and its definitely not that well. So, if I stay interested in Oxford Brookes (I've looked around it twice, once with my boyfriend and the other with my school), how should I tell my parents I want to go there?

Hello @rachelkernickxo

We are so happy to hear that you are interested in joining us. However, we are sorry to hear about the tough situation you are in.

I can't give much information on how to persuade your family, unfortunately, but as a current student in my final year at Oxford Brookes whose home is also roughly a 50 minutes drive from the university, I can understand the worry about living close to home. I have found through my experience over the years that home, although it was near, it still felt like the right distance from university enabling me to have enough independence and do my own thing, as well as, get the support from home when I needed it (especially when I missed some of mum's home-cooked food or there was a family event). However, this is completely dependent on the person. I have loved the convenience and the great transport links in Oxford to get me home and back quickly and efficiently, as well as the support from lecturers and the wellbeing team here.

Choosing universities is always a tough choice, please ask us as well as other universities any questions, worries or queries in order to help with your decision.

I hope that this was somewhat helpful to part of your dilemma.

All the best,

Shereese.
Update: I literally brought up the idea of going to a university like Birmingham City or Brighton or something (not Oxford Brookes because I'm still scared to bring it up) and they completely squashed the idea and said I should at least apply to Russell Group universities and stuff but my school told me to look at unis based off my predicted grades so far (BBB/BBC) and I'm not sure if I'd get any offers back anyway? I told them that and they said I would get offers back but I don't know if I would and anyway, I don't want to apply to the Russell Group Unis?
listen girl, just go up to your parents and tell them to put their money were their mouth is!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending