girl105
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
What career can you go into with a Geography degree? If you go to a uni like UCL, durham, warwick
Could you go into consultancy for example or the civil service??
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by girl105)
What career can you go into with a Geography degree? If you go to a uni like UCL, durham, warwick
Hey girl105

A Geography degree can open the door to a wide range of careers including local authority planning, environmental assessment, urban regeneration, conservation, sustainable development, tourism planning, renewable energy, and housing association management. With the increasing demands of European legislation and global environmental policy, there are growing employment opportunities in environmental consultancy. A degree in Geography opens the door to a wide range of 'general' graduate careers such as business, management, finance, the police service, and the armed forces.

You can also consider voluntary work or a part-time job during your studies in a consultancy firm or doing some form of admin for the civil service.

I hope you find this helpful.

Ashley
girl105
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hey girl105

A Geography degree can open the door to a wide range of careers including local authority planning, environmental assessment, urban regeneration, conservation, sustainable development, tourism planning, renewable energy, and housing association management. With the increasing demands of European legislation and global environmental policy, there are growing employment opportunities in environmental consultancy. A degree in Geography opens the door to a wide range of 'general' graduate careers such as business, management, finance, the police service, and the armed forces.

You can also consider voluntary work or a part-time job during your studies in a consultancy firm or doing some form of admin for the civil service.

I hope you find this helpful.

Ashley
Is it difficult to get into business and fiance with a geog degree?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is it difficult to get into business and fiance with a geog degree?
Hi

Studying Geography means you will look at a wide range of different topics and learn a broad range of skills that you can take with you into any workplace.

If you wish to go into a career within Business and Finance it may be worth looking into a degree in this field such as Accountancy and/or Business Management.

Amy :shakehand:
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, girl105,

I hope you are well,

I am glad you are wanting to pursue a geography degree.

From your responses, I can see that you have got a broad interest in various careers. Coincidently, I would like to do a combination of the two you mentioned (Environmental Consultancy & Business and Finance) and become an Environmental Manager. However, as a graduate, your geography degree is likely to open many doors across different employment sectors because of the transferable skills you learn.

To help answer your first question, to get an idea of what employment opportunities you could pursue as a geography graduate. The University Of Huddersfield has a list of careers you could enter taken from the Royal Geographic Society.
• Environmental Management
• GIS Analyst
• Nature Conservation
• Teaching
• Commercial Enterprise
• Finance Banking

https://courses.hud.ac.uk/full-time/...raphy-bsc-hons

To help you answer your second question, it is important that you choose a university which feels right for you. Also, you may want to consider which modules they offer in Year 1/2/3. It may help you adapt your degree and might give you an advantage when applying for a job in your field of interest.

To help answer your third question, a website called ‘Prospects’ provides a detailed job profile and advice on the relevant skills, qualifications and employers for the careers which interest you. During your course, you may want to consider how you can demonstrate the attributes you learnt in your degree and adapt them to your future career. I have linked the environmental consultant and civil service administrator job profiles below:

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...tal-consultant

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-prof...-administrator

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

All the best with your studies,

Best Wishes,

Sam Townsend | BSc(Hons) Geography Student at The University Of Huddersfield
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (57)
22.53%
Excited but a bit nervous (116)
45.85%
Not bothered either way (33)
13.04%
I'm really nervous (47)
18.58%

Watched Threads