StalinsMemeFarm
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know what is going on with the HNC graded units?

I currently sit HNC Social Sciences and afaik the SQA have cancelled exams for people sitting N5/H/AH but I haven't heard much regarding HNC graded unit exams. What is the plan for graded units? Will they be cancelled much like N5/H?

Many thanks
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by weeryza2)

I currently sit HNC Social Sciences and afaik the SQA have cancelled exams for people sitting N5/H/AH but I haven't heard much regarding HNC graded unit exams. What is the plan for graded units? Will they be cancelled much like N5/H?

Many thanks
There's not been much confirmation about HNCs from the SQA StriderHort is doing a HND so might have an idea?
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Many thanks
(Original post by Labrador99)
There's not been much confirmation about HNCs from the SQA StriderHort is doing a HND so might have an idea?
I'm still none the wiser i'm afraid, but yeah i'm also waiting to sit my SQA HND graded exam (plus a large pass/fail module one) so in the same boat, as you say almost all other SQA candidates have had a reasonably definite answer by now (I think?) but HNC/D's are in the dark. to the best of my knowledge our exams are going ahead in some form. From my HNC exp those exams are reasonably simple and sparsely populated compared to schools ones, they might still fancy their chances at doing them.

I've seen no definitive statement from either my uni, email, SQA, anything Just had another look there.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Actually i've just managed to dig this up from SQA dated the 26th, unless i'm way off the mark it looks like they'll be going with 'no exams, estimate grade based on coursework, finished or not'. As much as that is still a bit vague it's more than I knew before and i'm reassured they haven't flat out forgot us.

"Higher National certification
Thursday 26 March 2020

SQA is working closely in partnership with Colleges Scotland in these unprecedented times. We are working together to recognise learner achievement in as fair a way as possible.

We have been meeting to discuss and agree our joint approach to the certification of Higher National qualifications that are delivered in colleges across Scotland. The approach is made up of two elements.

Firstly, an estimate model for internal assessment decisions, where graded units are incomplete and further progress with them is not possible.

This will enable colleges to use their professional judgement to assess other candidate evidence, including their knowledge of their candidates, their progress and achievements to date.

Given the current situation, the normal level of external verification is not possible. The second element of our approach is therefore a reduced external verification model, that will enable a reasonable level of quality assurance to be undertaken remotely, to support the safe and secure delivery of our qualifications, whilst recognising the current challenges we all face.

The full details of how this approach will work in practice are still being finalised, and we will update you as soon as we can."

In addition, we are considering alternative arrangements for other qualification types, such as National Certificates, that are delivered in colleges and will keep you updated.

Everyone at SQA and Colleges Scotland is fully committed to working with you to deliver for Scotland’s learners at this exceptionally difficult time. Thank you for your patience and continued co-operation.
lindaBw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi I am in the same situation. Waiting to hear what will happen with my electrical engineering graded unit. I've still got two more assessments to do to complete another module which were due to happen in the next month. The College is telling us to carry on studying as the graded unit has not officially been called off yet. Seem s absolutely ridiculous. I believe the teachers union is now starting to get involved in order to try and force the SQA into a decision. Looks like the SQA don't care about the college students and just focussing on the schools. Hardly seems fair!
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
We just got an email today from the head of our course saying to not bother studying for the graded unit at the moment because of the current situation. He says we are awaiting confirmation from the SQA but that it’s looking unlikely that our graded unit will be able to go ahead.
lindaBw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
email today again from our senior lecturer and he says to keep studying - in fact hes sent us another past paper!

does anyone know what the grade scores are ABC etc - also id there an A credit and what percentage do you need for that?
thanks
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
(Original post by lindaBw)
email today again from our senior lecturer and he says to keep studying - in fact hes sent us another past paper!

does anyone know what the grade scores are ABC etc - also id there an A credit and what percentage do you need for that?
thanks
Not sure. But I sit HNC Social Sciences and I think our graded unit is 50% for a C. Again I'm not 100% on that because I've forgot. But regardless I think the HNC graded unit exams will be called off. Your lecturer is probably wishful thinking tbh.... our head of course has basically said this:

"I think there's still some ambiguity circulating regarding studying for the graded unit exam. My current advice is not to do this at the moment".

"At the moment all closed book exams in the college have been postponed, including the graded unit. Due to the unknown length of the lockdown, they may be officially cancelled and 'alternative' ways of grading people will have to be used. This is the part we're still waiting for official word on"

"We're obliged to keep delivering the syllabus (such as the Sociology of Education). Even if the exam doesn't run (and it's looking unlikely) for those returning to HND, this material will be particularly relevant again when they do 'Sociology D' next year (the same will apply to other topics feeding into HND Year 2 in terms of having a knowledge base regarding the content)"

So yeah I can't see how they would go ahead. Our graded unit exam is the 29th of this month. I can see the government extending the lockdown after this 3 week period ends and even then if it is lifted we won't return to normality straight away. Some form of social distancing will still be in place to ensure there is no new spike in cases.
lindaBw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
finally confirmed today that there will be no exams for HNC on SQA website
Kat 2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
finally confirmed today that there will be no exams for HNC on SQA website
Is that for definite? I wasn't sure what they were saying about the whole thing on their website and whether exams were canceled!
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kat 2001)
Is that for definite? I wasn't sure what they were saying about the whole thing on their website and whether exams were canceled!
I'm still none the wiser myself. I think it's saying that we're being assessed in a different way but it doesn't specifically state the that our graded unit exam is cancelled...
lindaBw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes - were are the same as highers now - further update on site noe https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93803.htm...9l_nSBkqyFICVc
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
yes - were are the same as highers now - further update on site noe https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93803.htm...9l_nSBkqyFICVc
That obviously means we'll be put into bands by our lecturers and then the SQA make the final decision. Causes a bit of anxiety not going to lie.... the SQA deciding our futures is squeaky bum time for a lot of folk. Your lecturer could put you down for a C and then the SQA could fail you.
lindaBw
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That obviously means we'll be put into bands by our lecturers and then the SQA make the final decision. Causes a bit of anxiety not going to lie.... the SQA deciding our futures is squeaky bum time for a lot of folk. Your lecturer could put you down for a C and then the SQA could fail you.
My take on it was that the college lecturers would decide our marks with the SQA only taking a small role in overseeing everything is done correctly. I may well be wrong though. My concern is that although my test results have been decent im convinced my exam result woul dhave been higher because of all the revision work etc. i would hope that they account for that
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
My take on it was that the college lecturers would decide our marks with the SQA only taking a small role in overseeing everything is done correctly. I may well be wrong though. My concern is that although my test results have been decent im convinced my exam result woul dhave been higher because of all the revision work etc. i would hope that they account for that
In fact you may well be right. I'm thinking of the way they are doing it for N5/H. In HNC as I understand it the graded unit exam is marked by the lecturers as opposed to by the SQA. So it might well be minimal intervention by the SQA. In my course its all 1.5k and 2k word essays we do before the exam and I've done good on those so I reckon I should fare well based on lecturer estimates.
Kat 2001
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you think it is worth studying at all?
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
Do you think it is worth studying at all?
Probably not. The SQA have pretty much published a statement accompanied by guidelines surrounding how to go about HNCs/HNDs and it pretty much says that there will need to be alternative ways to grade students. That basically means the exams won't go ahead, so yeah it probably isn't worth stressing yourself over tbh.

I got a reply from my lecturer the other day and he said that it is very unlikely that our graded unit exam will go ahead and they will be looking at other ways to assign grade. He also set another email prior to that advising the class not to study for the graded unit.
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
The SQA have just published an FAQs section for HNCs/HNDs. Link below:

https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/93800.html
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
My place emailed me today to say they're thinking about cancelling the HND exam...fk's sake
StalinsMemeFarm
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
My place emailed me today to say they're thinking about cancelling the HND exam...fk's sake
Mines emailed me today to say that our HNC exam is cancelled and that we're being graded alternatively via the lecturers own professional judgement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (136)
4.9%
Uncertainty around my education (408)
14.71%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (311)
11.22%
Lack of purpose or motivation (389)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (126)
4.54%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (168)
6.06%
Loneliness (239)
8.62%
Financial worries (100)
3.61%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (111)
4%
Exposure to negative news/social media (129)
4.65%
Lack of real life entertainment (148)
5.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (243)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (265)
9.56%

Watched Threads