Tips for getting a/a* at french a level

Watch
MattW02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am really struggling in french as I feel I am being consistently underestimated and all. I have started recording all new Vocab and long term learning it on Anki- would 100% recommend this, but has anyone any ideas how I can improve

Also how i can find someone to speak french with as I was going to France for the summer to work but probs cant now cos of corona
hilary08
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are some apps such as Tandem where you can practice with native speakers that might help. Vocab is the most important thing so keep going at it and revise grammar points. Every part of the exam will always relate to vocab and grammar. Try and watch French films, tv, series and/or listen to French podcasts/radio. I’m fluent in French and I find the a level hard too for me it’s mainly writing because written and spoken french are very different. Don’t worry you’ve got this!!
robertgallacher
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Paper One:
- Learn vocab, grammar and idiomatic expressions (sorry for the limited advice, that's really all you can do)
- Watch films in French for the listening. (The Shrek films have French dubs on Netflix. They're not perfect translations but the fact that they use idioms and different structures may actually be better, I've watched them at least 50 times.)

Paper Two:
- Learn the book and the film (or two books) really well, with quotes and a good knowledge of the structure. In the context of the films, getting hold of the script could be really useful.
- Find and write up an essay structure that works well for you. Mine was as follows: Summary of story with reference to essay topic, introductory context, introduction, main body of essay, conclusion.
- Learn context and related vocabulary.
- Practice at least every week.

Paper Three (Cards):
- Watch documentaries and the news about France and other French-speaking countries to get a good understanding of the culture and current affairs. Consider especially the differences from British culture and why this is.
- Learn the main vocabulary and read about each topic in depth, noting things that are interesting and perceptive enough to talk about.
- Practice, in English and in French, as you are expected to show in-depth knowledge.

Paper Three (IRP):
- Write up a list of things that could come up in English and study them in depth and find the translations for key vocabulary. My document with this was about 35-50 pages long, so make sure it's a topic you know well and you are interested to find out more about.
- Practice with a huge variety of people, in English and in French, to ensure you get the variety of questions covered. Make note of things you couldn't answer and vocabulary you think will be useful.
hilary08
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by robertgallacher)
Paper One:
- Learn vocab, grammar and idiomatic expressions (sorry for the limited advice, that's really all you can do)
- Watch films in French for the listening. (The Shrek films have French dubs on Netflix. They're not perfect translations but the fact that they use idioms and different structures may actually be better, I've watched them at least 50 times.)

Paper Two:
- Learn the book and the film (or two books) really well, with quotes and a good knowledge of the structure. In the context of the films, getting hold of the script could be really useful.
- Find and write up an essay structure that works well for you. Mine was as follows: Summary of story with reference to essay topic, introductory context, introduction, main body of essay, conclusion.

Paper Three (Cards):
- Watch documentaries and the news about France and other French-speaking countries to get a good understanding of the culture and current affairs. Consider especially the differences from British culture and why this is.
- Learn the main vocabulary and read about each topic in depth, noting things that are interesting and perceptive enough to talk about.
- Practice, in English and in French, as you are expected to show in-depth knowledge.

Paper Three (IRP):
- Write up a list of things that could come up in English and study them in depth and find the translations for key vocabulary. My document with this was about 35-50 pages long, so make sure it's a topic you know well and you are interested to find out more about.
- Practice with a huge variety of people, in English and in French, to ensure you get the variety of questions covered. Make note of things you couldn't answer and vocabulary you think will be useful.
I completely agree with this.
MattW02
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Paper One:

Paper Two:

Paper Three (Cards):

Paper Three (IRP):
Thanks so much for this it’s so helpful
Ðeggs
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Paper One:

Paper Two:

Paper Three (Cards):

Paper Three (IRP):
Excellent advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (1)
100%
No (0)
0%

Watched Threads