How to get top marks or at least a C

Watch
sykojuice
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
My mum has way too high expectations for me, I believe so anyway and she constantly compares me to other people’s kids who’ve got like 10 A* and stuff, probably forgetting that they’re grammar schools kids and I’m in a secondary school which is a bit dodge, anyway im just wondering how I could improve my grades & ways of revising I guess really.

So this is what I’m on so far
Maths - D (low tier highest C*)
English (Language) - B
Chemistry - C* (In tracking haven’t got gcse back yet)
Biology - Not sure because COVID
Art - A-
Ancient History- C* (A* in classwork essays) if anyone can give me advice on how to revise this subject especially, cause I do struggle
ICT - A*
LLW - A*
Sports Studies - A* tracking (havent got the gcse back yet)

So I guess I’m really just asking advice for English, Maths and Ancient History mostly. Cause I need to catch them up so if really appreciate advice on how to improve theses, also sorry for a train wreck of a post I didn’t really plan it out lol.
Last edited by sykojuice; 9 months ago
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sykojuice)
My mum has way too high expectations for me, I believe so anyway and she constantly compares me to other people’s kids who’ve got like 10 A* and stuff, probably forgetting that they’re grammar schools kids and I’m in a secondary school which is a bit dodge, anyway im just wondering how I could improve my grades & ways of revising I guess really.

So this is what I’m on so far
Maths - D (low tier highest C*)
English - B
Chemistry - C* (In tracking haven’t got gcse back yet)
Biology - Not sure because COVID
Art - A-
Ancient History- C* (A* in classwork essays) if anyone can give me advice on how to revise this subject especially, cause I do struggle
ICT - A*
LLW - A*
Sports Studies - A* tracking (havent got the gcse back yet)

So I guess I’m really just asking advice for English, Maths and Ancient History mostly. Cause I need to catch them up so if really appreciate advice on how to improve theses, also sorry for a train wreck of a post I didn’t really plan it out lol.
Maths: take your time to go through the content, fully make sure you understand the methods (don’t just memorise them), ask a teacher for help as soon as you struggle with something. After that it’s all about practice questions, try and make time to revise a topic a week for example and do textbook questions, go through any mistakes and make a note of thing you commonly get wrong. Nearer to exams (Easter onwards) aim to do lots of past papers, as many of them timed and closed book as possible (do other exam boards and old spec if need be).

More advice https://mathematicsadvice.weebly.com/#

Good YouTubers: Maths Explained, Corbett Maths, Primrose Kitten

English - for literature, read the play as many times as you can and really make sure you understand the set texts. Take time to think about the importance and key quotes for each theme and character. Then just do lots of practice essays; develop an essay structure that works for you and do lots of practice and ask your teacher for feedback.

Good YouTubers: Mr Bruff, Mr Salles and Stacey Reay

Didn’t do Ancient History but for normal History GCSE my best advice is to use your textbooks and really put the time and effort in to memorise the chains of events, key people etc as it’s pretty content heavy so make flashcards/condensed notes/posters and surround yourself with them and just make a little time each day to go through a small sub topic or chapter and learn it. Then like above do past papers and use your textbook and teacher feedback to develop exam technique.

Hope this helps and good luck
sykojuice
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Maths: take your time to go through the content, fully make sure you understand the methods (don’t just memorise them), ask a teacher for help as soon as you struggle with something. After that it’s all about practice questions, try and make time to revise a topic a week for example and do textbook questions, go through any mistakes and make a note of thing you commonly get wrong. Nearer to exams (Easter onwards) aim to do lots of past papers, as many of them timed and closed book as possible (do other exam boards and old spec if need be).

More advice https://mathematicsadvice.weebly.com/#

Good YouTubers: Maths Explained, Corbett Maths, Primrose Kitten

English - for literature, read the play as many times as you can and really make sure you understand the set texts. Take time to think about the importance and key quotes for each theme and character. Then just do lots of practice essays; develop an essay structure that works for you and do lots of practice and ask your teacher for feedback.

Good YouTubers: Mr Bruff, Mr Salles and Stacey Reay

Didn’t do Ancient History but for normal History GCSE my best advice is to use your textbooks and really put the time and effort in to memorise the chains of events, key people etc as it’s pretty content heavy so make flashcards/condensed notes/posters and surround yourself with them and just make a little time each day to go through a small sub topic or chapter and learn it. Then like above do past papers and use your textbook and teacher feedback to develop exam technique.

Hope this helps and good luck
thank you much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (300)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (239)
44.34%

Watched Threads