purplebutterflyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
is a level latin hard?? i love doing it so much at gcse level but struggle a lot gramtically, in my recent mock i got a 9 but i revised a lot for that. im worried about the translation into latin and english the most. i enjoy literature though
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All a levels are hard. You can use this time in quarantine to work on your grammar and translation for when you do start a level Latin
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Translation and grammar will be an important part of A-level Latin - if you enjoy the literature but not so much the language side of it at GCSE, you may prefer to take A-level Classical Civilisation (or something similar) where you will study the literature (among other things) in English.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Translation and grammar will be an important part of A-level Latin - if you enjoy the literature but not so much the language side of it at GCSE, you may prefer to take A-level Classical Civilisation (or something similar) where you will study the literature (among other things) in English.
PRSOM
purplebutterflyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
im not exactly bad at the grammar it just takes some time to get me to understand different things, like declensions or pronouns. the only thing that worries me abt them is the translation from english into latin. do you have any revision tips or things to look out for?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purplebutterflyy)
im not exactly bad at the grammar it just takes some time to get me to understand different things, like declensions or pronouns. the only thing that worries me abt them is the translation from english into latin. do you have any revision tips or things to look out for?
Unfortunately not, I've not done Latin (yet!) and my Greek course doesn't have composition in it so I've just translated from the target language to English
m0rb
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by purplebutterflyy)
Hiya, this is really late, but I am in the same boat as you considering latin for a-level lol. One thing that helped me for the eng to latin translation is that the latin words don't have to be in any specific order in the sentence, except that the verb is typically at the end. Hope this helps
isabellamcn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I do A level latin (just finished year 12)! So far I would say that Latin does become harder, but it’s not a very big jump- it’s manageable. The texts become more enjoyable in literature, although they are longer. The grammar is quite similar to GCSE, with just a few more rules here and there. If you’re already working at a 9 I think you will fair well with A level Latin, but it does require consistency. It’s not a subject you can neglect and cram.

Good luck with your choice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (109)
14.53%
My mental health (110)
14.67%
Feeling behind academically (142)
18.93%
Making friends/social anxiety (135)
18%
How to organise myself (25)
3.33%
How to revise/study effectively (89)
11.87%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (125)
16.67%
Something else - let us know in the thread (15)
2%

Watched Threads