dsidi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
hi👋

I'm in y12 at the moment, and considering applying for history and economics at Oxford, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the course for me.
I'm doing maths, econ and history at a level and I got 10 9s and 1 8 at GCSE. But I'm sort of stuck between PPE and H&E.
Is anyone by any chance studying h&e or PPE at Oxford and would be willing to help me out by answering a few questions please?

Would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
hi👋

I'm in y12 at the moment, and considering applying for history and economics at Oxford, but I'm not 100% sure if it's the course for me.
I'm doing maths, econ and history at a level and I got 10 9s and 1 8 at GCSE. But I'm sort of stuck between PPE and H&E.
Is anyone by any chance studying h&e or PPE at Oxford and would be willing to help me out by answering a few questions please?

Oxford Mum by chance do you know any PPE or H&E students at Oxford? I’ve seen some offer holders floating around, but no one actually at Oxford currently doing their degree. Thanks!
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
Oxford Mum by chance do you know any PPE or H&E students at Oxford? I’ve seen some offer holders floating around, but no one actually at Oxford currently doing their degree. Thanks!
I know a historian, but he is extremely busy with his finals. What I can do is post the chapter of Oxford Demystified he wrote about history. The chapter is very popular and has had over 1,000 views! Do ask me questions about history for me to pass on if you like, but he may be too busy to answer them. My own son is being kept very very busy, and I suppose it is the same with history finalists as well.

Please see the link below.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6126988

There is one ambition I have during this lockdown period, when Oxford students/offer holders may get bored (I'm talking about when exams are over).

And that is for offer holders and current students to write their own Oxford demystified chapters. Imagine having a helpful chapter for each and every subject at Oxford. It would be free of charge for everyone on TSR to view and would make a real difference, particularly to state school pupils who are intelligent enough to get in, but maybe have no experience of the Oxford admissions process.

What do people on here think? If I have any volunteers, I can let you know exactly the kind of info we need, in fact BB the historian has actually listed my questions in his chapter.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
hi👋

Hello dsidi!

Could you please ask me any questions you may have, having read BB's chapter on history?
Or any general questions you may have anyway?
Will try to get answers, but as I say, I can't promise anything...
Mona123456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
I know a historian, but he is extremely busy with his finals. What I can do is post the chapter of Oxford Demystified he wrote about history. The chapter is very popular and has had over 1,000 views! Do ask me questions about history for me to pass on if you like, but he may be too busy to answer them. My own son is being kept very very busy, and I suppose it is the same with history finalists as well.

Please see the link below.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6126988

There is one ambition I have during this lockdown period, when Oxford students/offer holders may get bored (I'm talking about when exams are over).

And that is for offer holders and current students to write their own Oxford demystified chapters. Imagine having a helpful chapter for each and every subject at Oxford. It would be free of charge for everyone on TSR to view and would make a real difference, particularly to state school pupils who are intelligent enough to get in, but maybe have no experience of the Oxford admissions process.

What do people on here think? If I have any volunteers, I can let you know exactly the kind of info we need, in fact BB the historian has actually listed my questions in his chapter.
PRSOM thank you Oxford Mum, I’m sure OP will find all of this really helpful.

I’d be more than happy to contribute to Oxford Demystified - I’m an offer holder (not at Oxford yet) but I come from a small school where I had to be pretty proactive about my application. If you think I could be of any help, please do feel free to tag/quote/PM me with what you’d like me to do, and I’ll try my best to help.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Mona123456)
PRSOM thank you Oxford Mum, I’m sure OP will find all of this really helpful.

I’d be more than happy to contribute to Oxford Demystified - I’m an offer holder (not at Oxford yet) but I come from a small school where I had to be pretty proactive about my application. If you think I could be of any help, please do feel free to tag/quote/PM me with what you’d like me to do, and I’ll try my best to help.
That is an amazing offer, and one I intend to take up!!! You may have to revise for your A levels (don't know what's going to happen). But in June, when there are definitely no exams and everyone is getting bored, then would be a great time to speak to people exactly like you.

Please let me know when you will definitely be free and I will set up a thread for those who have offered help to others.

My aim is to have the best Oxford admissions resource ever, free of charge, right here on TSR. And it will never be available anywhere else.

In fact I will pm you now, and see what you think. Thank you so much.
dsidi
Rep:
?
Hello dsidi!

Could you please ask me any questions you may have, having read BB's chapter on history?
Or any general questions you may have anyway?
Will try to get answers, but as I say, I can't promise anything...
Thank you!! I've had a look at his chapter on history, and it's very useful.
Would it be ok to talk about periods of history covered by my a levels, if I have done wider reading etc, or is it best to cover periods that aren't studied on the course in my personal statement?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
Would it be ok to talk about periods of history covered by my a levels, if I have done wider reading etc, or is it best to cover periods that aren't studied on the course in my personal statement?
The PS is very unimportant for Oxford. Most colleges take little reference of it since they have no idea whether you wrote it, your school tutor, or some company your parents paid to write it for you. Some universities do put a lot of weight on it (e.g. LSE, and if you apply there you should tailor your PS to them specifically), but not Oxford. However bear in mind anything you do write about in your PS can be asked about in interview, so only write something you would be happy to spend potentially 20 minutes discussing in an academic context. It's better to write about something you are interested in and confident in your knowledge of than trying to guess some interviewers personal preferences.
Last edited by artful_lounger; 9 months ago
dsidi
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
The PS is very unimportant for Oxford. Most colleges take little reference of it since they have no idea whether you wrote it, your school tutor, or some company your parents paid to write it for you. Some universities do put a lot of weight on it (e.g. LSE, and if you apply there you should tailor your PS to them specifically), but not Oxford. However bear in mind anything you do write about in your PS can be asked about in interview, so only write something you would be happy to spend potentially 20 minutes discussing in an academic context. It's better to write about something you are interested in and confident in your knowledge of than trying to guess some interviewers personal preferences.
Hi, thank you. I do plan on applying for LSE to do economics and economic history. And on my history a level course, we cover Germany post-WW1 which is a very interesting time with regards to the economy, which I would like to discuss on my PS. But of course, there are lots of other periods of history that I find interesting economically too, so I would be equally happy to discuss those.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
Use other periods of history, please. Otherwise it would look as if you were too lazy to look up anything new. I mean, everyone in the year has covered this period, right?
dsidi
Rep:
?
Use other periods of history, please. Otherwise it would look as if you were too lazy to look up anything new. I mean, everyone in the year has covered this period, right?
Point noted. Just thought that some students will be doing different a level courses so will be studying different topics. But will def do different periods thank you
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by dsidi)
Point noted. Just thought that some students will be doing different a level courses so will be studying different topics. But will def do different periods thank you
They want you to find something else on your own initiative, and the more unusual, the better. For example, not "the Tudors" but maybe Bess of Hardwick. Or one of Henry VIII's henchmen. Or how life was for peasants in Henry VIIIs reign, rather Henry VIII himself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (277)
56.42%
I don't have everything I need (214)
43.58%

Watched Threads