University Forcing Me Into Studying Something I Don't Like

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
So, my degree is Psychology. However, having to pick other classes, I went with Social Policy, Human Resource Management, and Education. The way it worked out was this:

SEMESTER 1:

Psychology,
HR,
Social Policy,
Education

SEMESTER 2:
Psychology,
HR,
Social Policy.

I thought this was a good way to get a explore subjects I haven't taken before, but ultimately my heart was on Education, as I'm studying to be a developmental psychologist. In order to take HR, I switched out the second Semester Education class - which was NOT theory, but a practical placement.

When it's come to picking my next year subjects, they're not letting me take Education as apparently that second semester class was compulsory.

It feels so pointless to be studying Social Policy or even HR as that's not the career I'm trying to get towards. What's the point of twisting your arm into studying subjects you're not interested in? This isn't school where we need to learn mathematics, even if they're boring. We're adult customers with (usually) specific career goals in mind.

To be fair, it's ultimately my own fault, and I've tried to fight my case to get back to choosing Education as a class, but they're really not for it. I think I'll just need to knuckle down. =\
username2940194
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Could you talk to your advisor or programme lead? Thats not particularly fair really but i think for your degree to be accredited you have to have specific modules sometimes
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It feels so pointless to be studying Social Policy or even HR as that's not the career I'm trying to get towards. What's the point of twisting your arm into studying subjects you're not interested in? This isn't school where we need to learn mathematics, even if they're boring. We're adult customers with (usually) specific career goals in mind.

To be fair, it's ultimately my own fault, and I've tried to fight my case to get back to choosing Education as a class, but they're really not for it. I think I'll just need to knuckle down. =\
TBH I think everyone has to accept this to an extent. Student customers aren't really the ones who set what skills and curriculum they learn, industry and business influence it considerably more, and if they decide that they value a broadened degree, that's what you'll basically get.

(Original post by studyinpsych)
Could you talk to your advisor or programme lead? Thats not particularly fair really but i think for your degree to be accredited you have to have specific modules sometimes
Making an exception also wouldn't be fair on everyone who DID do the placement :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.33%
I'm not sure (59)
4.38%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.18%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.75%
I'm not a current university student (665)
49.37%

Watched Threads