The Student Room Group

Will I like accounting and finance degree?

I have applied for accounting and finance but I'm not sure if I am going to enjoy my degree. One of the main reasons I took it is because I am interested in economics and business and it doesn't have difficult maths involved and is a very employable and stable career.
However, I have never done any accounting before or never used Excel before. Will I like my degree?
Hey!

I'm Charlie, one of the Lancaster University student ambassadors on here. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a degree in Finance & Economics, basically 50% Accounting & Finance modules with 50% Economics.

I do think that you will find that the degree involves quite a fair bit of maths, but it tends to be quite simple techniques. With accounting, it's mostly about knowing which numbers need adding or subtracting fro one another.

You never get examined on the use of Excel, so at a degree level I wouldn't worry about this. It's a useful skill to have, yes, but not essential at degree level.

Here at LUMS we have MASH (Maths And Science Help) clinics available for all students and these can be really helpful!

If you have any more questions about the degree or about general university life please let me know!

Charlie :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by styleman
I have applied for accounting and finance but I'm not sure if I am going to enjoy my degree. One of the main reasons I took it is because I am interested in economics and business and it doesn't have difficult maths involved and is a very employable and stable career.
However, I have never done any accounting before or never used Excel before. Will I like my degree?

Dunno how you will like the degree but those are the best reasons for taking an A+F course I've read. What level of maths do you have?
Reply 3
What ways are there to prepare me for an A+F degree? If I don't like it I could always change course in August. Thanks
Reply 4
Which university are you hoping to attend?
Reply 5
Original post by ajj2000
Which university are you hoping to attend?

Sheffield/Aston depending on grades
Original post by styleman
What ways are there to prepare me for an A+F degree? If I don't like it I could always change course in August. Thanks

Hey!

I think that just making sure you have a good mathematical understanding and also some background about why accounting is needed in practice. Don't worry too much about preparing - enjoy your summer and just be ready to work when you get to uni!

Charlie :smile:
Yes, you would because of the practicality of the subject. There a good role in your interest as well, but you'll be good for the most part! All the best!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending