Access Year or Average University

Watch
sirhazthe1s
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Okay so i have been given a Offer to study as Portsmouth for Law and business however i came to realise that i will make life difficult for myself reagardless of the level of degree from Portsmouth because it's not considered a high end university However my Local college offers a Access year for Law which i heard highers your chance to get into a better university Any help guys lol
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sirhazthe1s)
Okay so i have been given a Offer to study as Portsmouth for Law and business however i came to realise that i will make life difficult for myself reagardless of the level of degree from Portsmouth because it's not considered a high end university However my Local college offers a Access year for Law which i heard highers your chance to get into a better university Any help guys lol
I think a lot depends on what you want to do after. I can't really comment on how helpful the access course is - I know little about law in particular.

However if you're trying to get into a notoriously competetive career/further education then going to a better uni does help a lot. When I went for my accounting assessment centres and interviews, for example, I noticed that 70% of people had Top 15 degrees and nearly everyone I know who got a position went to a Top 15
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sirhazthe1s)
Hi!

Congratulations on your offer to study Law with Business at Portsmouth!

I can understand why you are not sure what is the best route to pick - it's a big decision to make and you can feel the pressure to make the right one as you won't know the outcome for years to come. However, I wasn't sure if you already knew some things about Law at Portsmouth ... but it might help you to figure out whether or not the Access course would be more suited to you or if actually the opportunities you would have at Portsmouth would help you pursue your ambitions.

Our Law with Business course is accredited by Bar Standards Board and Solicitors Regulation Authority and saw 95% of its students in work or further study in 2017; so in terms of employability after doing the course, you may find that you're not actually making your life difficult! It's also quite a practical course as you would have access to a mock courtroom and generally at Portsmouth there is a heavy emphasis on placements. You can also gain practical experience by participating in the Legal Advice Clinic. You can offer legal advice to the public with the support of qualified solicitors and experienced tutors, so it can be quite hands-on! So if you did come to Portsmouth, everything would be there to enable you to succeed, it would just be down to you to take advantage of those opportunities and prepare your CV for your career. Experience is sometimes worth more than attending a top University (though Portsmouth is currently ranked 21st in The Guardian University Guide!).

Ultimately though, league tables aren't everything! - what I would say is most important is that you have to choose what will make you happiest, because this will allow you to thrive and achieve those goals. I say this from experience as I made the risky decision to drop out of a university and start over with my undergrad at Portsmouth. I thrived at Portsmouth, graduated with a First and I was awarded funding to do both my Masters and PhD.

I hope some of this helps you with your decision. Best of luck and if you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact either the the Faculty office ([email protected]) or [email protected].

Danielle - Official Student Rep
Last edited by University of Portsmouth Student Rep; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (299)
84.23%
No (56)
15.77%

Watched Threads