Nobody7
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Sooo I would start preparing for them with all this spare time, but I don't even know what I'm gonna do anymore cause I might not be given the right grades, and I've changed my mind about a couple as well. Just had an argument with my mum about it as well lol.

Anyway, Geography is a subject I'm gonna do 100%. I was gonna do Economics, but I doubt I'll get the grade for that, so I might end up doing Business instead, (If I'm allowed). I want to do Biology, but again it depends on the grade I'm given. I choose Politics, but I don't really wanna do that anymore, I've changed my mind. Potentially, I might end up taking English if nothing else works out.

I really am starting to get worried, cause I see everyone else is set on what they've chosen, but I don't even have a clue yet (not even sure if I'll get into the sixth form.) All I can do now is wait for my grades I guess...
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's very unlikely that everyone else is set on what they've chosen - I know I wasn't until a couple weeks into A levels. It's also very likely your sixth form will be lenient with grades or allow you to resit in autumn to get your grades. So don't worry about it
DeliaMoreno
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Nobody7)
Sooo I would start preparing for them with all this spare time, but I don't even know what I'm gonna do anymore cause I might not be given the right grades, and I've changed my mind about a couple as well. Just had an argument with my mum about it as well lol.

Anyway, Geography is a subject I'm gonna do 100%. I was gonna do Economics, but I doubt I'll get the grade for that, so I might end up doing Business instead, (If I'm allowed). I want to do Biology, but again it depends on the grade I'm given. I choose Politics, but I don't really wanna do that anymore, I've changed my mind. Potentially, I might end up taking English if nothing else works out.

I really am starting to get worried, cause I see everyone else is set on what they've chosen, but I don't even have a clue yet (not even sure if I'll get into the sixth form.) All I can do now is wait for my grades I guess...
Do you like languages? They go well with everything and the opportunities are incredibly huge...
Ensoetre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wouldn’t do biology unless you’re very confident lol it’s a nightmare
Nobody7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Knortfoxx)
It's very unlikely that everyone else is set on what they've chosen - I know I wasn't until a couple weeks into A levels. It's also very likely your sixth form will be lenient with grades or allow you to resit in autumn to get your grades. So don't worry about it
I've been trying to find the right way to explain this to my mum, I'll try telling her this.
Nobody7
Rep:
?
(Original post by DeliaMoreno)
Do you like languages? They go well with everything and the opportunities are incredibly huge...
I did German at GCSE, and I was fairly decent at that. But I also found languages quite.... ya know
Nobody7
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ensoetre)
Wouldn’t do biology unless you’re very confident lol it’s a nightmare
Sciences are probably my weakest subjects, but I seem to be decent at Biology. My parents want me to do a science, which is why I was contemplating it.
tmr19
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sciences are probably my weakest subjects, but I seem to be decent at Biology. My parents want me to do a science, which is why I was contemplating it.
Imo you're doing this slightly backward. I think the best way to do this is decide broadly what you want to do at uni/work (i.e. engineering, medicine, business etc). From there you can look at what A Levels are preferred or required. From there you can narrow it down to what you're best at/allowed, then make any final choices.

I think doing a science arbitarily because your parents tell you to is a bad idea - if you don't need it for what you want then you're just putting yourself through something difficult you don't need to. It's better to do something easier that you really enjoy and get a good grade than something you're doing for the sake of it.
Nobody7
Rep:
?
(Original post by tmr19)
Imo you're doing this slightly backward. I think the best way to do this is decide broadly what you want to do at uni/work (i.e. engineering, medicine, business etc). From there you can look at what A Levels are preferred or required. From there you can narrow it down to what you're best at/allowed, then make any final choices.

I think doing a science arbitarily because your parents tell you to is a bad idea - if you don't need it for what you want then you're just putting yourself through something difficult you don't need to. It's better to do something easier that you really enjoy and get a good grade than something you're doing for the sake of it.
That's my thinking as well, I was contemplating it but there would be no point if I didn't enjoy it and if I would struggle. The thing is, the subjects I am good at, I don't really wanna do at A-Level, but the subjects I do wanna do, I probably won't get the grades 😂. Anyway, all I have to do is wait for my grades now I guess and wait for anymore information to come out.
tmr19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's my thinking as well, I was contemplating it but there would be no point if I didn't enjoy it and if I would struggle. The thing is, the subjects I am good at, I don't really wanna do at A-Level, but the subjects I do wanna do, I probably won't get the grades 😂. Anyway, all I have to do is wait for my grades now I guess and wait for anymore information to come out.
Good plan. I'd make really sure that you either a) really enjoy the subject b) really good at it. I found that even with a 9 in GCSE Physics, for example, I really struggled with Physics the whole time. The fact I didn't need or enjoy it made it hell haha
Ensoetre
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Gcse and A-level biology are very different
Incede
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Doing biology on its own isn't a good idea. If it has nothing to do with what you want to do at uni then don't take it, apparently it's really hard.
Geography, maths and economics is a good combination and will open up a lot of opportunities.
Last edited by Incede; 1 year ago
Arshdeep123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Incede)
Doing biology on its own isn't a good idea. If it has nothing to do with what you want to do at uni then don't take it, apparently it's really hard.
Geography, maths and economics is a good combination and willl open up a lot of opportunities.
Is maths, business studies (a level) and economics a good combination?
Incede
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arshdeep123)
Is maths, business studies (a level) and economics a good combination?
Business studies and economics are similar so I don't think its preferable. Business studies and economics aren't needed for any uni courses but business studies is basically worse a level.
Maths, economics and then one subject of your choice like physics/geography/history etc. would be better in my opinion. It depends on what you want to do at uni.
Hiro2468
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DeliaMoreno)
What sort of opportunities do they offer please?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It's fine not knowing what A-levels you want to do. At end of year 10, I wanted to do History DT and Art then changed it to Physics, DT and Maths in start of yr 11 and on registration day, I asked to change it to History, Maths and Physics - My dad even wanted me to do Computer Science but I ignored him because absolutely hated that so I strongly suggest taking the ones you like or interest you. I suggest looking the course content of potential A-levels and narrowing them down. Any A-level combo is a good combo but I would avoid similar A-levels like business and economics. You can always try them out and drop them if you don't like them (remember there is a deadline for switching subjects). Good luck
Arshdeep123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Business studies and economics are similar so I don't think its preferable. Business studies and economics aren't needed for any uni courses but business studies is basically worse a level.
Maths, economics and then one subject of your choice like physics/geography/history etc. would be better in my opinion. It depends on what you want to do at uni.
What courses shall I do for a management degree?
Incede
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Arshdeep123)
What courses shall I do for a management degree?
As long as you do maths and economics it doesn't really matter. You could do further maths/geography/physics/chemistry/history or whatever you are good at/enjoy. But I wouldn't do business studies unless you do it instead of economics
tmr19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As long as you do maths and economics it doesn't really matter. You could do further maths/geography/physics/chemistry/history or whatever you are good at/enjoy. But I wouldn't do business studies unless you do it instead of economics
Just to add: for the majority of management degrees I don't think they actually stipulate any required A Levels, so I'd take something easy that you're confident of getting a good grade in - makes it that much easier to get in and takes some pressure off you
Arshdeep123
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tmr19)
Just to add: for the majority of management degrees I don't think they actually stipulate any required A Levels, so I'd take something easy that you're confident of getting a good grade in - makes it that much easier to get in and takes some pressure off you
ok thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed