The Student Room Group

muslim - sikh marriage (advice please)

hey, i need some genuine advice please?
i am a muslim girl who is currently dating a sikh boy and are hoping to marry in the future.
our parents do not know about us but they are also not very strict so would probably allow it.
the only thing preventing this is my religion as marrying a non-muslim is forbidden.
we have spoke for around 6/7 months now and are truly in love with eachother and it would be difficult to go our own ways.
he is not planning to convert as he enjoys the background of Sikhism and would not be willing to convert to Islam and i do not want to pressure him to do so.
any advice on what to do would be appreciated!!
Reply 1
Bit of a sticky one cuz it is haraam. I suggest not if Islam means a lot to you. There's no way it can become halal unless he converts. Islam > dunya bro
It is a hard thing to do. Start with telling both your parents (I'm from a Sikh background, i know i bought home a muslim girl i would be kicked out the house) or feel your parents out and go from there
If you care about being muslim, you'll end it altogether. It may be hard and painful, but in the future you'll be glad you did. 6/7 months is nothing and going to the right way something better will replace it.
It is a question of your priorities, how you choose to practice your religion and your family tradition.
I believe in interfaith marriage and have dated guys of all different religions & none at all.
My best friends sect of islam has a long tradition of interfaith marriage, her family would have no problem with her marrying a guy who was sikh.
Her brother is married to a vegetarian hindu woman.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by hwpo1
Bit of a sticky one cuz it is haraam. I suggest not if Islam means a lot to you. There's no way it can become halal unless he converts. Islam > dunya bro

i’m not that religious but i do know the consequences if i did go ahead with it which is what worries me the most
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
i’m not that religious but i do know the consequences if i did go ahead with it which is what worries me the most

Igy dw. Islam restricts certain things for good reasons with wisdom. In my personal opinion (and ik it may sound harsh) I think you should separate or try to convert him. I can't see a way for it to become halal. Something that is haraam will always remain haraam.
Well, you have to understand also that marriage is not successful and long-lasting just because two persons loved each other before they tied the knot. In order for a marriage to be successful, there are several factors that play an important role. After a year or two, when you are out of your honeymoon phase, compatibility on the basis of thoughts, background, religion and how we want to live our lives, how our children will be, will be more important than the temporary satiation of lust and more often than not, it leads to the end of marriage. Compatibility is very important. And most importantly, frankly, it is haraam. Don’t leave your religion because of a guy, there is no guarantee he will stick to you for life. And even if he does, do you want to risk your hereafter and your children’s hereafter for that?
I think, religion is a great uniting factor in a marriage. It is amazing when both partners love each other for the sake of God, even when situations are tough.
Don’t do it. Turn to God, be sincere to your religion, and inshAllah you will find a wonderful partner.
Reply 8
Well, you have to understand also that marriage is not successful and long-lasting just because two persons loved each other before they tied the knot. In order for a marriage to be successful, there are several factors that play an important role. After a year or two, when you are out of your honeymoon phase, compatibility on the basis of thoughts, background, religion and how we want to live our lives, how our children will be, will be more important than the temporary satiation of lust and more often than not, it leads to the end of marriage. Compatibility is very important. And most importantly, frankly, it is haraam. Nothing should be more important than your deen. Don’t leave your religion because of a guy, there is no guarantee he will stick to you for life. And even if he does, do you want to risk your hereafter and your children’s hereafter for that?
I think, religion is a great uniting factor in a marriage. It is amazing when both partners love each other for the sake of God, even when situations are tough.
Don’t do it. Turn to God, be sincere to your religion, and inshAllah you will find a wonderful partner.

I couldn't have said it better! I 100% agree with you. OP, although your deen may not be important to you right now, I'm sure it will be in the future. Heed the Islamic principles and you won't go wrong, inshallah. After this honeymoon period/phase your experiencing right now, the religion of your spouse will become VERY important to you.
Id disown you if you were my daughter ngl

prsom
seriously didnt you find a good looking pakistani muslim or Arab? Why a Sikh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending