222b
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I’m interested in a career in the RAF, being a pilot. I am wondering if the RAF generally employ people with an aviation degree over a-level students?
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Short answer. Not necessarily.

The RAF will consider you as a package so while your level of academic qualification may be higher than the minimum requirement you will still need to be strong in the other aspects of selection to be considered competitive. Furthermore an aviation degree is not any better in the RAF’s eyes than any other bachelors honours degree.

Hope that helps.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 222b)
I’m interested in a career in the RAF, being a pilot. I am wondering if the RAF generally employ people with an aviation degree over a-level students?
Hi

You don't require a degree to be able to apply for the Pilot role, only GCSEs and A levels. Whether you do a degree or not is entirely up to you. If you go to university it will give you some further life experience that may help you during the application process, but it's not a necessity.

It will depend on how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection (OASC) that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF, the education requirements are the minimum to be able to submit your application and for it to be processed forward. Your aptitude test and the rest of the application process will be the deciding factor.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
222b
Rep:
?
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
Hi

You don't require a degree to be able to apply for the Pilot role, only GCSEs and A levels. Whether you do a degree or not is entirely up to you. If you go to university it will give you some further life experience that may help you during the application process, but it's not a necessity.

It will depend on how you do at Officer and Aircrew Selection (OASC) that will determine whether you get to be a pilot in the RAF, the education requirements are the minimum to be able to submit your application and for it to be processed forward. Your aptitude test and the rest of the application process will be the deciding factor.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Thank you for your help.
I was also wondering if it is possible to apply for more than 1 of the courses which I am interested in at the same time and then choose which or not!
Thanks.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 222b)
Thank you for your help.
I was also wondering if it is possible to apply for more than 1 of the courses which I am interested in at the same time and then choose which or not!
Thanks.
Courses?
If you meant roles, then yes, though you need to be careful what the perception is if you're applying for an officer role for one thing and an airman role for another. You'd be asked to explain your reasoning for applying for two very different roles if that was the case.
Last edited by Drewski; 6 months ago
BareFacedLoady
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 222b)
Thank you for your help.
Thanks.
Just out of curiosity, what are the two roles you're interested in? Pilot being very competitive, it's always smart to have a back up option, but to be successful with your first pick, you'd have to REALLY want it in my opinion.
222b
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeardedLoadie)
Just out of curiosity, what are the two roles you're interested in? Pilot being very competitive, it's always smart to have a back up option, but to be successful with your first pick, you'd have to REALLY want it in my opinion.
I am interested in pilot, and weapon systems officer, however my 1st choice would be pilot
BareFacedLoady
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by 222b)
I am interested in pilot, and weapon systems officer, however my 1st choice would be pilot
Good to have a couple of options in mind. The commissioned route is the path you look like you're wanting to take so brush up on what it means to be an officer within the RAF. I'm sure you're switched on enough to do the work. All the best in your application.
222b
Rep:
?
(Original post by BeardedLoadie)
Good to have a couple of options in mind. The commissioned route is the path you look like you're wanting to take so brush up on what it means to be an officer within the RAF. I'm sure you're switched on enough to do the work. All the best in your application.
Thankyou!!
Danc3aw5y
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Do you need a levels to become an RAF pilot or can you do a course at college instead of doing the a levels??
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Danc3aw5y)
Do you need a levels to become an RAF pilot or can you do a course at college instead of doing the a levels??
The qualifications required for every role are given on the RAF Recruitment website.
Danc3aw5y
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Surnia)
The qualifications required for every role are given on the RAF Recruitment website.
Ok thanks but do you need a levels to be an RAF pilot??
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok thanks but do you need a levels to be an RAF pilot??
Look at the Recruitment website; it depends what qualifications you have or want. You should always search official information first, and you won't get spoonfed on here, particularly if you are applying for an officer role, and one as challenging and competitive as Pilot.
Danc3aw5y
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok. I am not asking because I want to join the RAF but instead I am asking for someone else
Surnia
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Ok. I am not asking because I want to join the RAF but instead I am asking for someone else
Then tell them to look at the RAF Recruitment website, because it's not just a straight yes or no, and to check out all the eligibility requires as there's more than just educational standards to be met. Plus they should come on here and search this Forum for how they can improve their chances by taking on activities that show leadership potential.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (33)
16.84%
I'm not sure (5)
2.55%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (69)
35.2%
I have already dropped out (3)
1.53%
I'm not a current university student (86)
43.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed