The Student Room Group
Reply 1
MyHappyEnding
Hey all, I'm looking for any reasons why it was difficult for Winston Churchill to become accepted as PM and national leader in the summer of 1940.

Its pretty broad as in the time we can look at.
The only two main point i could see are the Abducation Crisis and his policy on India, any others?

If you look at his biography you will see that nearly every policy Churchill had proposed or had been associated with up to 1939 had been disastrous. He had crossed the floor of the Commons twice so both Tories and Liberals thought him a turncoat. He had been a warmonger throughout his creer [he seems to have actually enjoyed war and fighting], so it was opnly when a warmonger was needed that they reluctantly accepted him.
Reply 2
MyHappyEnding
Hey all, I'm looking for any reasons why it was difficult for Winston Churchill to become accepted as PM and national leader in the summer of 1940.

Its pretty broad as in the time we can look at.
The only two main point i could see are the Abducation Crisis and his policy on India, any others?

he was a memeber of the house of lords, and from my knowledge, members from the house of lords cant be prime minister.
Reply 3
Because he was a warmonger who was a complete political and military failure. He organised the infamous 1915 Galliopoli Campaign which got the ANZACS killed. He was also seen as a risk taker who would be dangerous as PM, due to his exploits as a young journalist in the Boer War.
Reply 4
btw he wasn't a member of the Lords, and they can be PM

Latest

Trending

Trending