Willi Yan
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So, i am given this question.
w = -1/2 + √3/2i, w^2 = -1/2 - √3/2i
First,I was asked to find w and w^2 in modulus argument form which are (1, 2π/3) and (1, -2π/3) respectively.
Next, I was asked to draw an Argand diagram to explain why 1 + w + w^2 = 0. This is where got stuck.
What I've drawn so far is a +1 on positive x-axis and then, w continuing above x axis at an angle of 2π/3 from x-axis. After that comes w^2 continuing from the last point to the origin which finally results in a 0 in terms of displacement. Literally, it forms an equilateral triangle. However, in terms of magnitude, it results in 1 (1 from x axis + 1 from w - 1 from w^2 gives a resultant of 1) while it should be 0. I am willing to listen to any explanation which explains how to draw this diagram completly.
Thank you.
Last edited by Willi Yan; 1 year ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Willi Yan)
So, i am given this question.
w = -1/2 + √3/2i, w^2 = -1/2 - √3/2i
First,I was asked to find w and w^2 in modulus argument form which are (1, 2π/3) and (1, -2π/3) respectively.
Next, I was asked to draw an Argand diagram to explain why 1 + w + w^2 = 0. This is where got stuck.
What I've drawn so far is a +1 on positive x-axis and then, w continuing above x axis at an angle of 2π/3 from x-axis. After that comes w^2 continuing from the last point to the origin which finally results in a 0 in terms of displacement. Literally, it forms an equilateral triangle. However, in terms of magnitude, it results in 1 (1 from x axis + 1 from w - 1 from w^2 gives a resultant of 1) while it should be 0. I am willing to listen to any explanation which explains how to draw this diagram completly.
Thank you.
w and w^2 are conjugate so their sum is twice their real values.
You should recognise they're cube roots of unity?
Willi Yan
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
w and w^2 are conjugate so their sum is twice their real values.
You should recognise they're cube roots of unity?
I'm sorry i don't quite get the first statement. Is it that their sum which is (1+1 = 2) is twice their real values which is 1 for both w and w^2.
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry i don't quite get the first statement. Is it that their sum which is (1+1 = 2) is twice their real values which is 1 for both w and w^2.
No, their real parts are -1/2. Just look at the rectangular form.
You can also get the relationship from basic algebra from
w^3 = 1.
There are a few ways to do it.
Willi Yan
Rep:
?
I'm sorry it just looks messy but here's what i drew and another is what's shown in the mark scheme. I think my drawing is correct.
Attached files
mqb2766
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm sorry it just looks messy but here's what i drew and another is what's shown in the mark scheme. I think my drawing is correct.
Yes
w+w^2 = -1
So
-1+1=0
Willi Yan
Rep:
?
(Original post by mqb2766)
Yes
w+w^2 = -1
So
-1+1=0
alright thank you very much!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
3.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (23)
17.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
17.91%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (19)
14.18%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (39)
29.1%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (24)
17.91%

Watched Threads