The Student Room Group

Evidence of separated parents

Hello so basically when I filled in my application for my student finance it wanted the status of my parents relationship. I put that they were still legally married however didn’t live in the same household.

So now they want proof however we don’t have the kind of proof they are asking for. I thought maybe I could show them the council tax which shows my mums name on it only however my brother lives with us and he’s 23 so i don’t know if it will show the 25% off discount thing.

My dad also doesn’t have a permanent residence as he lives in work.

What should I do?
you will need to demonstrate that your Dad lives elsewhere - where do his bank statements go, where is he registered with a doctor? If all still at your address then that is probably where he will be considered as living for these purposes.
I have divorced friends who are still having their income taken into account for their kids because they pay child maintenance now.
Reply 2
Original post by ReadingMum
you will need to demonstrate that your Dad lives elsewhere - where do his bank statements go, where is he registered with a doctor? If all still at your address then that is probably where he will be considered as living for these purposes.
I have divorced friends who are still having their income taken into account for their kids because they pay child maintenance now.

All his stuff still comes to our house unfortunately. Apparently the student finance number is temporarily out of service so how would you suggest I deal with this?
Sorry but it sounds like your Dad is trying to live under the radar and that won't help you here. Maybe you need to send an email explaining everything but fundamentally it sounds like he is actually living with you more than anywhere else (in terms of officialdom) so that is how it will be taken. He will need to provide evidence of earnings for FY 18/19 - if he doesn't then they will just give you the minimum that everyone qualifies for. It may be that your Mum's salary would have led to the same result anyway if she is a high earner.
Reply 4
Original post by ReadingMum
Sorry but it sounds like your Dad is trying to live under the radar and that won't help you here. Maybe you need to send an email explaining everything but fundamentally it sounds like he is actually living with you more than anywhere else (in terms of officialdom) so that is how it will be taken. He will need to provide evidence of earnings for FY 18/19 - if he doesn't then they will just give you the minimum that everyone qualifies for. It may be that your Mum's salary would have led to the same result anyway if she is a high earner.

I was going to try and call them and ask what can be done as he’s not living here even though he hasn’t changed any of his address so that his mail stops coming to our house but I think he thinks my mum is doing to take him back which is why he probably hasn’t changed his address.

However the student finance line is down so it looks like I might just have to Twitter then which I doubt will be that effective
Original post by Leahmitch
Hello so basically when I filled in my application for my student finance it wanted the status of my parents relationship. I put that they were still legally married however didn’t live in the same household.

So now they want proof however we don’t have the kind of proof they are asking for. I thought maybe I could show them the council tax which shows my mums name on it only however my brother lives with us and he’s 23 so i don’t know if it will show the 25% off discount thing.

My dad also doesn’t have a permanent residence as he lives in work.

What should I do?

Hi Leah, your mum should complete a Marital Status Declaration Form and attach any evidence listed on the form.

The form can be downloaded here http://ow.ly/d/8nhE. If you have any further queries please let us know. There might be a slight delay in responding.
Thanks, Isaac.
Reply 6
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi Leah, your mum should complete a Marital Status Declaration Form and attach any evidence listed on the form.

The form can be downloaded here http://ow.ly/d/8nhE. If you have any further queries please let us know. There might be a slight delay in responding.
Thanks, Isaac.

Would my mum still have the 25% discount on her council bill even though my brother who is 23 years old lives with us?
Original post by Leahmitch
Would my mum still have the 25% discount on her council bill even though my brother who is 23 years old lives with us?

Possibly not, that is why she should complete the form and attach any evidence listed. If she can't provide evidence she needs to explain why on the form.
Thanks, Isaac.
Also I just noticed your other thread where you talked about lying on your application and you mentioned your dad is working. If your parents are not separated then you must supply both parents details. The Marital Status Declaration Form is only to be used if they are separated. We complete audits and if it did turn out that your parents are not separated then you could be made ineligible for any funding and anything already paid to you may be required to be paid back.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending