The Student Room Group

How do I write an introduction for EPQ (aiming for A*)

Hi there,
I'm trying to write my introduction for my EPQ project (I've left the intro until last as per the advice given), but I'm really struggling.

I asked my teacher for advice and she said to make the introduction very specific and include key scholars, key terms and specific issues. I'm struggling to introduce key scholars though, because I've used about 30 different scholars in my report, so am I supposed to introduce all of them??

Also I have no idea how to structure this, please help thank you :smile:
Original post by chloenix
Hi there,
I'm trying to write my introduction for my EPQ project (I've left the intro until last as per the advice given), but I'm really struggling.

I asked my teacher for advice and she said to make the introduction very specific and include key scholars, key terms and specific issues. I'm struggling to introduce key scholars though, because I've used about 30 different scholars in my report, so am I supposed to introduce all of them??

Also I have no idea how to structure this, please help thank you :smile:

An introduction to the dissertation or the whole project? I don't think u need an intro to the whole project - I didn't do one and I'm predicted A* for mine - if you mean for the dissertation don't stress too much - your not marked on what you write for the dissertation - more that you did it and included sources so as long as you have sources throughout it should be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by emilybond:)
An introduction to the dissertation or the whole project? I don't think u need an intro to the whole project - I didn't do one and I'm predicted A* for mine - if you mean for the dissertation don't stress too much - your not marked on what you write for the dissertation - more that you did it and included sources so as long as you have sources throughout it should be fine.

I meant an introduction for the dissertation itself, and I've written it now but thank you that's very helpful :smile:
May I ask what kind of things you've done to get yourself predicted an A*? Our teachers not given us any predictions so I'm kind of in the dark, which is a bit annoying because I don't really know what I'm doing!
Original post by chloenix
I meant an introduction for the dissertation itself, and I've written it now but thank you that's very helpful :smile:
May I ask what kind of things you've done to get yourself predicted an A*? Our teachers not given us any predictions so I'm kind of in the dark, which is a bit annoying because I don't really know what I'm doing!

Just make sure your work log is detailed and evaluate all the sources you use in detail as to why they were useful or unuseful - the marks are for the skills you develop not how great your project is overall so if you start badly or "miss" a few deadlines to then say by the end your time management improved that could also help - I just looked at the mark scheme a lot when I did it - which is why I spent little time on the dissertation as the person marking it doesn't always even read it as you are not beng marked on essay writing - basically just show through the project how your skills improved and also how these skills will be useful to you in the future - particulalry in the evaluation at the end - we were told that you get more marks for saying how you improve and how you would apply these skills at uni/job than you would for basic phrases like - if i did the project again i would change XYZ..."
Reply 4
Original post by emilybond:)
Just make sure your work log is detailed and evaluate all the sources you use in detail as to why they were useful or unuseful - the marks are for the skills you develop not how great your project is overall so if you start badly or "miss" a few deadlines to then say by the end your time management improved that could also help - I just looked at the mark scheme a lot when I did it - which is why I spent little time on the dissertation as the person marking it doesn't always even read it as you are not beng marked on essay writing - basically just show through the project how your skills improved and also how these skills will be useful to you in the future - particulalry in the evaluation at the end - we were told that you get more marks for saying how you improve and how you would apply these skills at uni/job than you would for basic phrases like - if i did the project again i would change XYZ..."

Oh great that's such good advice thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending