The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

sussex accomodation reputation

hi! i am going to firm sussex soon and was wondering about the reputation of the different on site accommodation and if any current students had a recommendation for me
I would really like an en suite , self catered . Id also like to be in the `party accommodation` or just the most busy one.
Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I’m looking for the same kind of thing. It looks like park village is the busiest and by far the cheapest but also quite cramped and run down. I’m thinking maybe lewes court? Or i’ve read stuff about brighthelm being good for parties, but not sure how reliable that is. Didn’t get chance to visit so I have no idea what to do aha
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by maggiehearne123
I’m looking for the same kind of thing. It looks like park village is the busiest and by far the cheapest but also quite cramped and run down. I’m thinking maybe lewes court? Or i’ve read stuff about brighthelm being good for parties, but not sure how reliable that is. Didn’t get chance to visit so I have no idea what to do aha

same , I visited and they said park village was the best for like nightlife lol but its not an ensuite and the loos in the one I saw (cant remember which one but it was shared bathroom) were grim ao would much rather an en suite yk
is lewes court en suite? that might be a shout x
Yeh lewes court is either en suite or shared, ensuite quite a bit more money tho. I’m gunna go for shared cus its only between 5 other people rather than 12 at park village so can’t be as grotty, and the extra money would be useful for drinks x
Reply 4
Yeh lewes court is either en suite or shared, ensuite quite a bit more money tho. I’m gunna go for shared cus its only between 5 other people rather than 12 at park village so can’t be as grotty, and the extra money would be useful for drinks x

thats true an brightons expensive enough so shared might be worth it , think I will firm tdy
what course are you studying?
International development, what about you?
Also found this about park village if that helps
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Just finished 1st year, if you're looking for ensuite with decent amount of houseparties would say northfield, lewes court is quite small and supposed to be good I know plenty of people who didn't get it, bighthelm is supposed to be really good and I also went to a few in east slope, I stayed in one of the park houses and it was v decent for motives and really greeat people but the accommodation is not as nice as the more expensive options, tbh I think flatmates make more of a difference/ are more important as you can't really go wrong with most on campus and if you know people can easily go to another accommodations, eastslope and brighthelm houseparties last the longest before getting shut down but most of the time unless its a sunday there's something going on in town that you can hit with your flatmates. Only thing I'd say is avoid stanmer court as its a bit seperared from the campus and a bit more of a trek to get to lectures/on campus stuff
Reply 7
Original post by yaco3
Just finished 1st year, if you're looking for ensuite with decent amount of houseparties would say northfield, lewes court is quite small and supposed to be good I know plenty of people who didn't get it, bighthelm is supposed to be really good and I also went to a few in east slope, I stayed in one of the park houses and it was v decent for motives and really greeat people but the accommodation is not as nice as the more expensive options, tbh I think flatmates make more of a difference/ are more important as you can't really go wrong with most on campus and if you know people can easily go to another accommodations, eastslope and brighthelm houseparties last the longest before getting shut down but most of the time unless its a sunday there's something going on in town that you can hit with your flatmates. Only thing I'd say is avoid stanmer court as its a bit seperared from the campus and a bit more of a trek to get to lectures/on campus stuff

omg thank you! i might do northfield , brighthelm , lewes court and then park x
Reply 8
International development, what about you?
Also found this about park village if that helps

politics and sociology joint honours x
I lived in York House (one of Park Houses) and I had an insane time. If you’re looking for the social life Park Houses is definitely the best shout. The flats are designed in a way that makes it very sociable and there’s always parties. It’s also very cheap. Honestly it’s a bit run down and the rooms are by no means luxury, but I think that makes it more of a vibe. Northfield is okay but it’s far less sociable. The only benefit of being there is that you get your own toilet. Northfield is also a big walk as it’s the other side of campus. East Slope is really posh and like a 5* hotel but honestly the social life is none existent. Park village is also good but it has a bad rep for drugs and partying constantly. It’s also kinda dirty. I would defo say any of the park houses.
Original post by Anonymous
I lived in York House (one of Park Houses) and I had an insane time. If you’re looking for the social life Park Houses is definitely the best shout. The flats are designed in a way that makes it very sociable and there’s always parties. It’s also very cheap. Honestly it’s a bit run down and the rooms are by no means luxury, but I think that makes it more of a vibe. Northfield is okay but it’s far less sociable. The only benefit of being there is that you get your own toilet. Northfield is also a big walk as it’s the other side of campus. East Slope is really posh and like a 5* hotel but honestly the social life is none existent. Park village is also good but it has a bad rep for drugs and partying constantly. It’s also kinda dirty. I would defo say any of the park houses.

I agree, park houses aren’t too bad at all. I lived in Northfield and I only got on with one of my flatmates. The others were international and couldn’t speak any English. Whenever i went to park house parties they were always so much better and the people are more chill. East Slope is also a definite no if you’re looking for chill people and a good social life. Avoid Stanmer court if possible
I agree, park houses aren’t too bad at all. I lived in Northfield and I only got on with one of my flatmates. The others were international and couldn’t speak any English. Whenever i went to park house parties they were always so much better and the people are more chill. East Slope is also a definite no if you’re looking for chill people and a good social life. Avoid Stanmer court if possible

sorry im a bit confused! is park village the same thing as park house? thank you this is super helpful!! x

sorry im a bit confused! is park village the same thing as park house? thank you this is super helpful!!

What’s your opinion on lewes court and brighthelm? Are they good for partying or nah?
sorry im a bit confused! is park village the same thing as park house? thank you this is super helpful!!

No, park houses are different from park village. They’re a lot nicer. The rooms are very similar but the layout and kitchen is far better
No, park houses are different from park village. They’re a lot nicer. The rooms are very similar but the layout and kitchen is far better

they aren't showing up on the accommodation page for some reason? x
they aren't showing up on the accommodation page for some reason? x

Oh wait they’re being demolished this year I just found out :frown: damn they really were the best. This would be my order then: Lewes Court, Northfield, Park Village, East Slope
Oh wait they’re being demolished this year I just found out :frown: damn they really were the best. This would be my order then: Lewes Court, Northfield, Park Village, East Slope

oh thats a shame :frown: okay thats what ill do then thank you x
ive firmed my place at sussex and visited twice! my sister is at Brighton uni and has quite a few friends in Sussex. judging by her advice and experiences, she said east slope was the best all around, as it was defo the most modern with a good sized room and a massive kitchen! despite the long walk up the stairs or whatever, I've heard all great things. slightly anxious though, as I've put east slope ensuite, east slope shared, then northfield (personally the walk and I thought it wasn't as modern as east slope made it my third) and really hope I get it otherwise im not too sure what ill do! I'm not sure what your budget is, but they are both very similar priced!
Original post by holt5790
ive firmed my place at sussex and visited twice! my sister is at Brighton uni and has quite a few friends in Sussex. judging by her advice and experiences, she said east slope was the best all around, as it was defo the most modern with a good sized room and a massive kitchen! despite the long walk up the stairs or whatever, I've heard all great things. slightly anxious though, as I've put east slope ensuite, east slope shared, then northfield (personally the walk and I thought it wasn't as modern as east slope made it my third) and really hope I get it otherwise im not too sure what ill do! I'm not sure what your budget is, but they are both very similar priced!

.... sorry to inform you that East Slope is possibly the worst choice

Quick Reply

Latest