Are the contents of a level maths and further maths very different?

Watch
abcd0613
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
I wonder if a level further maths is simply "deeper" or covers more contents than a level maths does. Or is it "deeper" and at the same time covers more contents? If yes, are there many "new (topics that are not covered in a level maths) things to learn in further maths?
theprettyrainbow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
a level further maths does include a level maths topics but it goes further and deeper. Check out the link down below
https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...cification.pdf
Toastiekid
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
would agree with the poster above, it covers a lot of stuff on the a-level stuff in more depth (i.e: vectors) but there are also topics that don't appear at all in a-level maths (i.e: matrices). i'm pretty sure the further maths content varies school by school though as in further maths the school can pick different optional bits
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
By nature maths builds upon things you've already learnt for the most part! It would be impossible to do A-level further maths independently of a-level maths for this reason.

In terms of pure, not much will be completely new (as above, complex numbers and matrices are the only two examples I can really think of), and will require solid grounding in A(S)-level maths. It can be different for applied, (indeed for decision you may have not seen any of it before!) but both stats and mechanics will start in familiar ground.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.08%
I'm not sure (59)
4.49%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (387)
29.45%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.82%
I'm not a current university student (646)
49.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed