The Student Room Group

Molecular mechanisms, Symptoms and Treatments in Cystic Fibrosis (Essay)

Can someone help me with this essay, the word limit is 3000?
sure what do u need ?
Original post by Jamesjacky
sure what do u need ?

Websites
Things I can talk about in the essay
Look up the CFTR, a chloride channel which you should be aware of :smile:
For molecular mechanisms you need to look at the CFTR channel protein as mentioned above, you could also look at the ENaC channel.

In terms of symptoms, they're pretty easy to find online but mainly respiratory (reduced lung function due to frequent chest infections because of thickened mucus) and digestive (malabsorption, inability to release pancreatic digestive enzymes, resultant malnutrition)

For treatments, theres no cure, but you can look into targeted therapies such as ivacaftor/tezacaftor (symkevi), ivacaftor/lumacaftor (orkambi) and newer triple combinations (not yet approved, but trikafta).

In terms of management, from a digestive standpoint theres creon (pancreatic enzyme replacement) vitamin/calcium etc replacement etc, and for respiratory symptoms its typically inhalers and nebuliser treatments such as DNase to thin mucus and nebulised antibiotics. Other things you can look into are additional medications such as N-acetylcystine.

Besides that, theres lifestyle aspects such as physiotherapy, exercise and increased dietary intake. I hope that helps! If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them, just message me :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending