jaketickle.01
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I should be starting at Bristol in 2020 (but at this point, who knows) and obviously with the, y'know, pandemic, I have a lot of spare time on my hands. I've been reading a few texts, mostly classics, as well as some poetry, but I just wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for what to read in preparation for studying English at degree level?
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you look at their course on their website and click on course structure link and click on some the modules their description can give you some you can look at
Hyperbolit
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi jaketickle.01, may sound like a no-brainer, but definitely read as much Shakespeare as you can stomach, especially the histories and 'lesser known' plays (e.g. Cymbeline, Richard II, Titus Andronicus, even). Virtually every English course features good ole' Willy Shakes, so reading him will definitely come in handy. In terms of poetry, I'd say read up on the Metaphysical poets (Donne and Pope), the Romantics (Blake, Shelley, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Keats), the Modernists (Eliot and Pound) etc. In terms of prose, can't go wrong reading the Victorians (George Eliot, Elizabeth Gaskell, Dickens, Hardy), but would also recommend some of the earlier novels by Jonathan Swift and Samuel Richardson. Depending on what the Bristol English course is like, you could also try looking into Medieval literature (Medieval dream poetry can be pretty interesting), or go the complete opposite way and pick up some American postmodern poetry/fiction. Hope this helps?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads