shall i take these a levels ( politics, history, sociology)

Watch
raniaaaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I want to take these courses for a level because I'm really into debates and learning about history. I was gonna take eng lit but I think it would be really hard for me to manage. I got a 6 for English but I think its really hard for a level.

any students perhaps give me good detail about the courses in the title? thanks.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What periods will you be studying for history?
oliviawilsonnn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What do you want to study or do after school because they seem like good choices dependant on what you want to do?
aaliyah.ana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi! I did Politics and History for A levels and I really enjoyed both of them! For me, history was definitely more academically rigarous and quite boring and dense in some areas but if you are confident in your essay writing skills then you should find it much easier to engage with the work. For Politics, I think the enjoyment you get out of it depends on the people in your class. I think it's important to have a range of views especially as you'll be required to give balanced arguments in your essays. Academically, I think it's really easy to do well in Politics especially if you keep a close eye on current events & quite a lot of the content is common knowledge anyway. I hope this helps & if you know what exam board the subjects are I'd be more than happy to give more detailed advice
raniaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
What periods will you be studying for history
the Tudors 1485-1603
Germany democracy nazism 1918-1945
the age of the crusades

( i have also studied the Tudors and nazi Germany in GCSE, of course not in detail like a level but I really enjoyed it so that's why I think history would be great. however, i don't know how hard it would be that's why I'm a bit concerned )
raniaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaliyah.ana)
Hi! I did Politics and History for A levels and I really enjoyed both of them! For me, history was definitely more academically rigarous and quite boring and dense in some areas but if you are confident in your essay writing skills then you should find it much easier to engage with the work. For Politics, I think the enjoyment you get out of it depends on the people in your class. I think it's important to have a range of views especially as you'll be required to give balanced arguments in your essays. Academically, I think it's really easy to do well in Politics especially if you keep a close eye on current events & quite a lot of the content is common knowledge anyway. I hope this helps & if you know what exam board the subjects are I'd be more than happy to give more detailed advice
for a level, id be studying the Tudors 1485-1603
the age of the crusades

also, a random questions but I like doing the NOP of a source and narrative accounts, I find them quite easy. would that be beneficial to a-levels, or would it be completely different?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by raniaaaaa)
the Tudors 1485-1603
the age of the crusades

( i have also studied the Tudors and nazi Germany in GCSE, of course not in detail like a level but I really enjoyed it so that's why I think history would be great. however, i don't know how hard it would be that's why I'm a bit concerned )
Tudors can get a bit hectic with all the names to remember but it's good that you enjoyed those topics. It makes a real positive difference if you do actually like reading about those areas. An important part of the history A-level is perfecting your essay technique - you could memorise the whole textbook and still do badly.
raniaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Tudors can get a bit hectic with all the names to remember but it's good that you enjoyed those topics. It makes a real positive difference if you do actually like reading about those areas. An important part of the history A-level is perfecting your essay technique - you could memorise the whole textbook and still do badly.
are the techniques a lot harder than GCSEs? because in GCSE it would mainly be no, narrative account, pee para etc..
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
are the techniques a lot harder than GCSEs? because in GCSE it would mainly be no, narrative account, pee para etc..
Nah not really - argument, supporting evidence, linking back to the question is still the basic gist of it. But with so much information and so much detail it's easier than you'd think to just slip into telling a story of what happened.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I can help with this. I’m doing politics and history for A levels. Don’t do them, alongside them I’m doing RE; RE is basically three A levels in one with the amount of content you have to cover.
Last edited by Greywolf.; 1 year ago
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do History and the content is interesting to me but it depends on each person as some of my classmates hate Tudors side. It is a lot of content but it's manageable if you are interested in it and it will get easier to process the info with time because everything will click eventually. Learn your exam techniques and remember to practice some essay questions because that also helps with learning new content and will help you when remembering relevant information.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I do History and the content is interesting to me but it depends on each person as some of my classmates hate Tudors side. It is a lot of content but it's manageable if you are interested in it and it will get easier to process the info with time because everything will click eventually. Learn your exam techniques and remember to practice some essay questions because that also helps with learning new content and will help you when remembering relevant information.
You made it seem as though you were a lot older than A levels, don’t know why
aaliyah.ana
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
for a level, id be studying the Tudors 1485-1603
the age of the crusades

also, a random questions but I like doing the NOP of a source and narrative accounts, I find them quite easy. would that be beneficial to a-levels, or would it be completely different?
Hi! Using NOP would be benefical if your course means you're looking at sources and other pieces from the time period. If you are also analysing extracts & things not from the time period, then you'll only ever look at the content rather than the extract's context. Hope this makes sense & was helpful
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I want to take these courses for a level because I'm really into debates and learning about history. I was gonna take eng lit but I think it would be really hard for me to manage. I got a 6 for English but I think its really hard for a level.

any students perhaps give me good detail about the courses in the title? thanks.
Hey raniaaaaa!

I studied all three for my A-Levels! And I even took English lit in my first year but chose to drop it.

I really enjoyed all three and History and Politics went so well together! I currently study International Relations and Politics at Uni and I constantly find theories and names which I learned in Sociology coming up, so having the knowledge from A-Level has really helped.

Regarding the courses themselves, it really depends on your teacher and exam board as to what you will be learning and how you will be taught.

What were you thinking about studying at University/doing in the future?

I'd love to answer more specific questions if you have any!

Courtney - Official Student Rep
raniaaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey raniaaaaa!

I studied all three for my A-Levels! And I even took English lit in my first year but chose to drop it.

I really enjoyed all three and History and Politics went so well together! I currently study International Relations and Politics at Uni and I constantly find theories and names which I learned in Sociology coming up, so having the knowledge from A-Level has really helped.

Regarding the courses themselves, it really depends on your teacher and exam board as to what you will be learning and how you will be taught.

What were you thinking about studying at University/doing in the future?

I'd love to answer more specific questions if you have any!

Courtney - Official Student Rep
I would love to get into law tbh but I'm not sure what type of law yet. I've done research but perhaps I'm too young to decide that right now hah but i mean law would be a great opportunity as I like getting into debates and helping those in need, getting my point across etc..

also doing those subjects what other good careers could i get into?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (63)
4.6%
Uncertainty around my education (213)
15.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (152)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (193)
14.1%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (59)
4.31%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (78)
5.7%
Loneliness (123)
8.98%
Financial worries (47)
3.43%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (63)
4.6%
Exposure to negative news/social media (63)
4.6%
Lack of real life entertainment (72)
5.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (118)
8.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (125)
9.13%

Watched Threads