Have I had anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Last year I was very emotionally distressed from family death and a level stress so went to doctor and he put it down as stress related problems. Now for my course I have a health questionnaire and it says have you ever suffered from anxiety as one question and have you ever suffered from any mental health problems. I don't know whether that would be a mental health problem?
Anonymous #1
Bump
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
No
OK thankyou
Greywolf.
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stress and anxiety are different, stress is when you might not be able to cope with something, you might be overstretched. Anxiety is a mental health problem, it’s completely debilitating throughout daily life.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
Stress and anxiety are different, stress is when you might not be able to cope with something, you might be overstretched. Anxiety is a mental health problem, it’s completely debilitating throughout daily life.
It did affect my everyday life for 2 years but my doctor just put it down as stress related problems and referred me for therapy which I later declined as only group therapy was offered but I'm okay now.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
It did affect my everyday life for 2 years but my doctor just put it down as stress related problems and referred me for therapy which I later declined as only group therapy was offered but I'm okay now.
That’s good to hear, I wasn’t dismissing what you said no, stress and anxiety are different but both can have devastating impacts on your life for sure. PM me if you want
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh I’ve only just seen the title of the thread
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Greywolftwo)
That’s good to hear, I wasn’t dismissing what you said no, stress and anxiety are different but both can have devastating impacts on your life for sure. PM me if you want
Noo I wasn't talking about you. I was just thinking if I should put it down as a mental health problem as it affected me for 2 years but if my doctor put it down as stress I dont think it counts.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Noo I wasn't talking about you. I was just thinking if I should put it down as a mental health problem as it affected me for 2 years but if my doctor put it down as stress I dont think it counts.
Definitely consult a doctor, I can’t say for definite
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Last year I was very emotionally distressed from family death and a level stress so went to doctor and he put it down as stress related problems. Now for my course I have a health questionnaire and it says have you ever suffered from anxiety as one question and have you ever suffered from any mental health problems. I don't know whether that would be a mental health problem?
You could put it either way, but I would only tend to say yes if you had a fully diagnosed condition. It's quite normal for people to go through a hard time in life and get stressed because of it. Technically that is having an issue with your mental health, but I wouldn't tend to say it's a mental health condition.

I hope you get where I'm coming from. Honestly it's really up to you and your intirpretation of what was happening. By the sounds of what you've said here it sounds like it was related to the death of your family member and very impactful for a time but went away naturally as more time passed. And it also sounds like your doctor gave you info on what was going on, but not any actual diagnosis. Of course I may be wrong about that, I've only had a very tiny explanation while you lived it. With that sort of thing I would tend to describe it more as a stressful time in your life rather than having had a mental health condition or anxiety.

But again it does to a certain extent come down to your own feelings about it. I hope that helps and I'm glad you're feeling less stressed now. Sorry for your loss.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads