The Student Room Group

Universities and COVID-19

Because of COVID-19, A-Level exams are cancelled. This means that the grades that people get will be based on other factors, like mock exams, GCSEs, predictions, etc.

Because of this, there is a chance that certain universities will have more people fulfilling the offers and thus becoming over-subscribed and others being under-subscribed. So how will Universities deal with this? I can see this going in 4 ways:

[1] The Universities could simply have to deal with it.
If a University gets too much applicants, they should have thought about that before giving more offers than available spaces and under-subscribed universities should just accept a drop in income for that year.

[2] Universities may make students take a beginning-of-year exam and those who fail get kicked off the course immediately.

[3] The government (or other universities) may encourage students to take on insurance choices with financial incentives.

[4] The government may step in and with over-subscribed courses, those with the highest grades within the cohort will get higher priority.
Reply 1
honestly with how things are looking with some unis giving statements, they are going to be using the grades given as though they are our real exam results. personally I dont think the unis will have issues with over subscription but rather there will be a dip in grades with students coming out lower grades, so in my opinion the unis are gonna have to be flexible with their grade requirements, on your last point, I think unis will be given the power to choose their students based on factors which could be, grades but also personal statement, portfolio or any extra work/assessment so on a course by course basis. But that's just my 2 cents.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
makes me kinda sad hypothesising but I'm just waiting for my firm to make a statement on how they will take it everything into account, it just sucks.
Obviously those people who already have offers will likely be given preference...if you firmed it, and get your grades you should be in. I highly advise letting your school know, what your offer is and where you want to go....this is not a time to be unaware of what is going on around you with your situation.

Secondly, will universities even have physical classes next year..
That's the big challenge...but as soon as the better uni's (RG are full). They won't accept more students and what's left, will fill up the lower ranked uni's. It happens all the time, I'm not sure why uni's/applicants don't think it will happen this year. Also people will want to go to uni as the economy is totally decimated. It may well occur some people with higher exam results don't get into a uni they normally would have and end up somewhere mid tier. To that i say oh well, serious people plan ahead. If you don't hold an offer to the uni you want to go to at this point, or haven't submitted an application... Whose fault is that? Your own.

I'll give you a good example, alot of my friends are upset because they have high 50s average.... And my uni has enacted a no detriment policy meaning your grades can only go higher so those of us with solid 2:1s (my average is around 67 right now) arent at all worried. Which is great, those with lower marks don't see the advantage and say we're forgotten, yeah but that's because they weren't switched on and prepared before covid-19, hence their lower average. People that plan ahead in life and are performing well at all times get better results. Even if there was no way to anticipate for covid-19... You should have been prepared with an offer at hand by now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Obviously those people who already have offers will likely be given preference...if you firmed it, and get your grades you should be in. I highly advise letting your school know, what your offer is and where you want to go....this is not a time to be unaware of what is going on around you with your situation.

Secondly, will universities even have physical classes next year..
That's the big challenge...but as soon as the better uni's (RG are full). They won't accept more students and what's left, will fill up the lower ranked uni's. It happens all the time, I'm not sure why uni's/applicants don't think it will happen this year. Also people will want to go to uni as the economy is totally decimated. It may well occur some people with higher exam results don't get into a uni they normally would have and end up somewhere mid tier. To that i say oh well, serious people plan ahead. If you don't hold an offer to the uni you want to go to at this point, or haven't submitted an application... Whose fault is that? Your own.

I'll give you a good example, alot of my friends are upset because they have high 50s average.... And my uni has enacted a no detriment policy meaning your grades can only go higher so those of us with solid 2:1s (my average is around 67 right now) arent at all worried. Which is great, those with lower marks don't see the advantage and say we're forgotten, yeah but that's because they weren't switched on and prepared before covid-19, hence their lower average. People that plan ahead in life and are performing well at all times get better results. Even if there was no way to anticipate for covid-19... You should have been prepared with an offer at hand by now.

Regarding your first sentence ; it has been heavily implied that people who meet the requirements of their firm offer may not be able to attend that uni, not only people who haven't applied/ wanted to get in through clearing
Original post by Polinaa
Regarding your first sentence ; it has been heavily implied that people who meet the requirements of their firm offer may not be able to attend that uni, not only people who haven't applied/ wanted to get in through clearing

I doubt that would happen, as universities has a contract in place with their firm. Why would this change?
Because on average grades this year will be a lot higher so more people will meet their firm conditions do universities will have more people meeting the offer than places so they’ll have to select which people to reject even if they meet the offer (because of the caps they’ll only have a certain amount of places)
Reply 7
Original post by Polinaa
Because on average grades this year will be a lot higher so more people will meet their firm conditions do universities will have more people meeting the offer than places so they’ll have to select which people to reject even if they meet the offer (because of the caps they’ll only have a certain amount of places)

the grades will be about the same if u look out how they are giving out grades, so they wont be over booked. most years universities are oversubscribed even though they say they offer a certain amount of places but still have to give places to students who attain the offer contract, they cant break that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending