Getting A Car At Exeter University, is it worth it.

Watch
peterjfox69
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm wanting to get my daughter a car for University but have read it's not really worth it at Exeter University due to the lack of parking.
We live in Brighton so it's an expensive train journey and quite a trip.
Thought it would be good for the beach in the summer and exploring the area.
Any ideas?
Thanks
meddad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by peterjfox69)
I'm wanting to get my daughter a car for University but have read it's not really worth it at Exeter University due to the lack of parking.
We live in Brighton so it's an expensive train journey and quite a trip.
Thought it would be good for the beach in the summer and exploring the area.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Brighton to Exeter is about 4 hours drive - I doubt she would be doing that trip very often. The local trains go to the beach resorts and the station for dawlish warren (for example) is virtually on the beach itself.

Of course, it's up to you, but it's not essential. You could always wait until she's been there a few months and then decide how useful it would be.
peterjfox69
Rep:
?
(Original post by meddad)
Brighton to Exeter is about 4 hours drive - I doubt she would be doing that trip very often. The local trains go to the beach resorts and the station for dawlish warren (for example) is virtually on the beach itself.

Of course, it's up to you, but it's not essential. You could always wait until she's been there a few months and then decide how useful it would be.
Thanks
peterjfox69
Rep:
?
Thanks
What's the parking like at the moment? Most of the forum chats are quite a few years old now. Is it all permit parking now like most cities? Are there places where students can park in the city?
meddad
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What's the parking like at the moment? Most of the forum chats are quite a few years old now. Is it all permit parking now like most cities? Are there places where students can park in the city?
Uni advice on parking

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/students/carparking/

You can also try sites like parkopedia to get a good idea.
peterjfox69
Rep:
?
Thanks
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Exeter like most universities dont allow students to park on campus especially if they are going to live on campus, in or near the city centre. There simply isnt the room to allow everyone to park there. It wont be easy to find parking spaces anywhere and it will come at a cost. If someone lives on campus they wont use a car. It is a 15 minute walk to the city centre and St Davids station. It is about the same distance to a large Morrison's and there is a bus from the Campus to Tesco I believe as well as online shopping. There are buses from Exeter city centre to Exmouth and I believe Dawlish and trains serve them as well.
peterjfox69
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Exeter like most universities dont allow students to park on campus especially if they are going to live on campus, in or near the city centre. There simply isnt the room to allow everyone to park there. It wont be easy to find parking spaces anywhere and it will come at a cost. If someone lives on campus they wont use a car. It is a 15 minute walk to the city centre and St Davids station. It is about the same distance to a large Morrison's and there is a bus from the Campus to Tesco I believe as well as online shopping. There are buses from Exeter city centre to Exmouth and I believe Dawlish and trains serve them as well.
Thanks
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thanks
There used to be a direct train once a day i think from Bristol Parkway to Brighton. I dont know if it is still running. I assume it also calls at Temple Meads which is the main station in Bristol. There is an hourly service from Exeter to both Bristol stations. Temple Meads is the near one but it is a big station. Parkway is a smaller one. There is an hourly service from Exeter to both stations. I think the Brighton-Bristol goes across country so is likely to be slow but it is likely also to be cheaper. It might prove cheaper using split tickets. There is an hourly service from St Davids to Paddington then across by underground to Victoria then train from there to Brighton or she might be able to connect at Reading
Last edited by swanseajack1; 7 months ago
peterjfox69
Rep:
?
Great, thanks
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Great, thanks
There is also an hourly service from Cardiff to Portsmouth which goes through Temple Meads and she could change off to go to Brighton. This would change at Fareham.
IC_43185
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
For Brighton to Exeter journeys, 2 main options - a) change at Westbury or change at b) Salisbury (or go through all the way to c) Bristol Temple Meads).

a =
1) Get a train from Brighton to Fareham
2) Fareham to Westbury
3) Westbury to Exeter (via Taunton/GWR)

b =
2) Fareham to Salisbury
3) Salisbury to Exeter (via Honiton/SWR)

c =
2) Fareham to Bristol TM
3) Bristol TM to Exeter (via Taunton/CrossCountry)

The direct train mentioned above runs twice a day, leaving Brighton at 09:00 and 17:00 to Bristol TM (and onwards). Takes around 3 hours 30 to do that journey.

Interestingly there is only 1 train in the other direction - 12:39 Bristol TM to Brighton.

Having studied at Exeter it isn't the best for driving, and parking on campus is a big no-go. Parking in student areas (St James etc.) is lots of on-road parking in terraced houses, so again not the most convenient.
Last edited by IC_43185; 7 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (498)
33.49%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (619)
41.63%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (302)
20.31%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (68)
4.57%

Watched Threads