username5234560
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I'm struggling with these two questions, so if anyone could answer them for me or give me some pointers I'd appreciate it.

Q1. Suggest 2 reasons it is difficult to accurately measure the urban population in countries with a lot of slums.

Q2. Explain reasons for the distribution of megacities across the world. [6marks]
bethabbott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Useernaamee)
I'm struggling with these two questions, so if anyone could answer them for me or give me some pointers I'd appreciate it.

Q1. Suggest 2 reasons it is difficult to accurately measure the urban population in countries with a lot of slums.

Q2. Explain reasons for the distribution of megacities across the world. [6marks]
q1: Potentially go along the lines of people who live within slums won't have access to hospitals/medical centres for birth/death measurements? If they don't have money/travel etc for certificates to be created, could lead to a lack of demographic information. Can't really think of another reason, asides from how do you measure the size of the slum? You can't really decide on the population without setting an area of a slum...

q2: (This is about 7 years ago for me so this may take some time) Going along the lines of economy, where the work is, even aspects of physical geography e.g. rivers/canals, ocean routes which accounts to trade. Majority of the megacities you can think of have harbours and big financial centres. A contrast from the original megacities (New York and Tokyo) to more recent ones, where the work was needed for industrialisation etc.

The only downfall to the megacities is how global politics has affected the distribution of megacities but I'm not sure if this would count in a geography question anymore!
username5234560
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by bethabbott)
q1: Potentially go along the lines of people who live within slums won't have access to hospitals/medical centres for birth/death measurements? If they don't have money/travel etc for certificates to be created, could lead to a lack of demographic information. Can't really think of another reason, asides from how do you measure the size of the slum? You can't really decide on the population without setting an area of a slum...

q2: (This is about 7 years ago for me so this may take some time) Going along the lines of economy, where the work is, even aspects of physical geography e.g. rivers/canals, ocean routes which accounts to trade. Majority of the megacities you can think of have harbours and big financial centres. A contrast from the original megacities (New York and Tokyo) to more recent ones, where the work was needed for industrialisation etc.

The only downfall to the megacities is how global politics has affected the distribution of megacities but I'm not sure if this would count in a geography question anymore!
Thank you so much for the response!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (21)
13.64%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (64)
41.56%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
14.94%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.6%

Watched Threads