The Student Room Group

Ofqual update: How your A-level and GCSE grades will be decided this year (3rd April)

Scroll to see replies

Basically if you only pulled your socks up in year 11 you're truly ****ed for these grades.
I'm not very happy about both grades standing if you choose to sit your exams in autumn/summer. Other than that, this seems like a tolerable solution.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by not_XIX_forever
So if I am resitting a levels at my old school, they will provide a grade for me?
There is no chance of me having to do any internal assessments for them?

What do I do now? Should I be revising in case I have to appeal?

I’m not sure what my teachers think about me :/

If the school knows you and has supervised you this year they should be able to provide a grade for you.

It's unlikely that you'll need anything for an appeal. There is no need to revise unless you do a resit in the autumn exams (which we don't know much about)
Reply 43
if let's say we aren't happy with the grade and decide to sit the exam, how would we get enough time to revise? It would make sense if we knew what our grades would be a little beforehand, so we can then revise accordingly. It wouldn't be fair for us to not know, with the potential of the grades being changed by Ofqual even after the teachers submit the grades, to revise for the entirety of summer when maybe, there would be no need to....

also, some people stayed at low-attainment schools so when they get very high grades, it looks better OR simply, some high-achievers just wanted to stay/go to low achieving schools, maybe due to proximity of the school etc - so when Ofqual looks at the prev reputation of the school/college how are they going to factor that in... i guess people would have to appeal this?
Original post by young.one
Does this working out mean lower ability students are set to be given lower grades than they might have got?

The system won't work in favour of students who don't do much work through the course but then revise frantically for a month.
Original post by That Lesbian
I sat a gcse with them in November 2019 and got a 3. They told me to wait for what my exam board puts out. My previous grade is the only evidence they have

What do I do guys :frown: I'm panicking
Original post by ozzyoscy
Enraged private candidates being told they're getting an update then reading and seeing they're not getting an update in 3... 2... 1...

yep
Original post by Gcrr
if let's say we aren't happy with the grade and decide to sit the exam, how would we get enough time to revise? It would make sense if we knew what our grades would be a little beforehand, so we can then revise accordingly. It wouldn't be fair for us to not know, with the potential of the grades being changed by Ofqual even after the teachers submit the grades, to revise for the entirety of summer when maybe, there would be no need to....

also, some people stayed at low-attainment schools so when they get very high grades, it looks better OR simply, some high-achievers just wanted to stay/go to low achieving schools, maybe due to proximity of the school etc - so when Ofqual looks at the prev reputation of the school/college how are they going to factor that in... i guess people would have to appeal this?

You should find out your grade in late July. That gives plenty of time to revise before sitting exams in September, especially since you would likely be sitting exams in fewer subjects.
Original post by That Lesbian
What do I do guys :frown: I'm panicking

First of all, try your best not to panic.

Nothing has been decided yet, yes it's frustrating you don't have the answers you need at the moment, but exam boards and Ofqual are still trying to figure out solutions.

In the mean time it might be best to talk to the center and see if they would be confident in giving you a grade.
Reply 49
Original post by Greywolftwo
Well my mum was watching the news and told me that the government might not open schools for two years?

I don't understand how that could happen. The whole country would be 2 years behind.
Original post by Knortfoxx
You should find out your grade in late July. That gives plenty of time to revise before sitting exams in September, especially since you would likely be sitting exams in fewer subjects.

It seems they've slightly backtracked with this and have said no later than the normal results day, with it likely being earlier.

"We’re working hard to get results out as soon as is possible results won’t be delayed after the dates they were expected in August and ideally will be released a little earlier, so students can have the certainty they need."
Absolutely trash
Original post by Emma Watson7946
Absolutely trash

Why?
Original post by Treetop321
It seems they've slightly backtracked with this and have said no later than the normal results day, with it likely being earlier.

"We’re working hard to get results out as soon as is possible results won’t be delayed after the dates they were expected in August and ideally will be released a little earlier, so students can have the certainty they need."

You're right, yeah. But even if they're released on normal results day (Aug 13?), that still gives a lot of time to revise.
for alevel students would they consider gcses as previous attainment as well??
Original post by Knortfoxx
You're right, yeah. But even if they're released on normal results day (Aug 13?), that still gives a lot of time to revise.

I do agree with this, especially when there will be no other school work to complete.
Original post by Evil Homer
First of all, try your best not to panic.

Nothing has been decided yet, yes it's frustrating you don't have the answers you need at the moment, but exam boards and Ofqual are still trying to figure out solutions.

In the mean time it might be best to talk to the center and see if they would be confident in giving you a grade.

They said I can pay the fee of 220 but they are still waiting for news :frown:
I can't help but panic. I am screwed
Original post by Toastiekid
It’s so gross to think of all my teachers sat debating who gets ranked where in my subjects:sadnod:

:jumphug:
I am home schooled and a private candidate at my center , what am I supposed to do now ? Still no clear answear
I've had no relationship with my exam center or their tutors since they don't teach A Level Maths just let people sit the papers there. Is it possible they would still be able to collect evidence for my case at this point? As in, make me sit some mock papers? If that's the case then I have to revise now not later to actually do well on those papers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending