Changing my mind about becoming a doctor

Watch
Georgeladel98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
For a while now I have always thought I wanted to become a doctor and I told so many of my teachers, friends and family. But I have been thinking about it a lot recently and I am unsure that I actually want to or not. However, I now feel like I have to because all these people I know, know I wanted to- and I feel like if I tell any of them any other dreams it will be like I am giving up on my dreams, that I am not good enough to be one or that the new job I want is worse than being a doctor. Also, even if I wanted to tell them no never mind do not actually want to be a doctor I can't because I hardly see some of them. I also told my college so I feel like I am going to be bombarded with loads of medicine stuff/support. I don't know whether to take it or tell them I actually do not want to do it. PLEASE HELP
Anonymous1918
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
What is your dream. Deep down. Ask yourself that. Do that. It really is that black and white, that simple. Forget about external factors and the outside world and chase what YOU want to do. You don't have any obligation to prove yourself to others or to do what you think they want you to do. It's your dreams and ultimately your long term life, so if you feel you want to do a certain thing, then you don't owe anybody an explanation for that.
nocheloche
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Georgeladel98)
For a while now I have always thought I wanted to become a doctor and I told so many of my teachers, friends and family. But I have been thinking about it a lot recently and I am unsure that I actually want to or not. However, I now feel like I have to because all these people I know, know I wanted to- and I feel like if I tell any of them any other dreams it will be like I am giving up on my dreams, that I am not good enough to be one or that the new job I want is worse than being a doctor. Also, even if I wanted to tell them no never mind do not actually want to be a doctor I can't because I hardly see some of them. I also told my college so I feel like I am going to be bombarded with loads of medicine stuff/support. I don't know whether to take it or tell them I actually do not want to do it. PLEASE HELP
Back at the start of year 12 for me, there were around 40 students who were interested in doing medicine at uni but by year 13 only 9 people actually applied. I think this is common in many schools, and your teachers will have seen many students change their minds about what they want to do each year. So honestly, don't stress about that. If they offer help/support, just politely decline and move on with your day. Your teachers just want to help you get to wherever you want to be, nothing more.

Why have you changed your mind about medicine? Do you have a different career path in mind? (its perfectly okay if you don't though!)
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Georgeladel98)
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support here.

It is perfectly normal to change your mind about your career, adults change career all of the time in-fact on average we have 7 different jobs throughout our lifetime.

Your future and happiness is what is important here, if you don't mind me asking what are your other ideas for your future career?

I am sure that your teachers will understand as students change their minds about the direction they would like to take all of the time. I certainly wouldn't advise that you go ahead with it and find yourself unhappy and change career much later in life to do what you wanted to do all along.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks - Sophie.
Georgeladel98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous1918)
What is your dream. Deep down. Ask yourself that. Do that. It really is that black and white, that simple. Forget about external factors and the outside world and chase what YOU want to do. You don't have any obligation to prove yourself to others or to do what you think they want you to do. It's your dreams and ultimately your long term life, so if you feel you want to do a certain thing, then you don't owe anybody an explanation for that.
Thankyou, very inspiring!
Georgeladel98
Rep:
?
(Original post by stardust-dream)
Back at the start of year 12 for me, there were around 40 students who were interested in doing medicine at uni but by year 13 only 9 people actually applied. I think this is common in many schools, and your teachers will have seen many students change their minds about what they want to do each year. So honestly, don't stress about that. If they offer help/support, just politely decline and move on with your day. Your teachers just want to help you get to wherever you want to be, nothing more.

Why have you changed your mind about medicine? Do you have a different career path in mind? (its perfectly okay if you don't though!)
I just realised that is wasn’t the job for me, I really enjoy science so I was looking into jobs as a scientist where I can still help people- as that is the reason why I wanted to be a doctor, to help.
Georgeladel98
Rep:
?
(Original post by National Careers Service)
Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support here.

It is perfectly normal to change your mind about your career, adults change career all of the time in-fact on average we have 7 different jobs throughout our lifetime.

Your future and happiness is what is important here, if you don't mind me asking what are your other ideas for your future career?

I am sure that your teachers will understand as students change their minds about the direction they would like to take all of the time. I certainly wouldn't advise that you go ahead with it and find yourself unhappy and change career much later in life to do what you wanted to do all along.

Hope to hear back from you soon.

Thanks - Sophie.
Thankyou Sophie, that’s very reassuring

I really enjoy science so I was looking into jobs like that, also one where I can help people. I have a few in mind (biomedical scientist, forensic scientist or medicinal chemist) but I’m not 100% sure on any of them at the moment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads