Should Our Teachers Still Be Giving Us Work?

Watch
N. Auditoré
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Okay so I’ll not lie I’m pretty demotivated and lazy but I saw on The Guardian or on a website (I’ll search for this) that teachers should NOT be giving us extra work now or use that as a contributor to our predictions as that is unfair and we are in a different state of mind or something (tried but can’t find it again). My sociology teacher was giving us 3 essays weekly which was fine but she just asked us to spend 3hrs creating a PowerPoint on Positivism vs. Interpretivism. Like ma’am leave me alone😐 isn’t it Easter or something? I’m going to study law and leaving that subject to die.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
"Do I need to complete any new work for my school/college to submit a grade?

Your school or college is not required to set additional mock exams or homework for your centre assessment grade, and you won’t be disadvantaged if you were not set, or were unable to complete, any work given out after schools were closed."
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
"Do I need to complete any new work for my school/college to submit a grade?

Your school or college is not required to set additional mock exams or homework for your centre assessment grade, and you won’t be disadvantaged if you were not set, or were unable to complete, any work given out after schools were closed."
THANK YOU, (can u send me the link to this lmaooo). I’m just going to ignore the work LMAO. Happy Easter sweetie
NathanAtro3
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
Okay so I’ll not lie I’m pretty demotivated and lazy but I saw on The Guardian or on a website (I’ll search for this) that teachers should NOT be giving us extra work now or use that as a contributor to our predictions as that is unfair and we are in a different state of mind or something (tried but can’t find it again). My sociology teacher was giving us 3 essays weekly which was fine but she just asked us to spend 3hrs creating a PowerPoint on Positivism vs. Interpretivism. Like ma’am leave me alone😐 isn’t it Easter or something? I’m going to study law and leaving that subject to die.
Can you link me to the article, i saw a few but can't find them, one of my teachers is still setting stuff and i have better things to be doing with my time.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by nathan_nacu)
THANK YOU, (can u send me the link to this lmaooo). I’m just going to ignore the work LMAO. Happy Easter sweetie
(Original post by NathanAtro3)
Can you link me to the article, i saw a few but can't find them, one of my teachers is still setting stuff and i have better things to be doing with my time.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...in-summer-2020
NathanAtro3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I meant the Guardian article
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
That Government advice just means the work can't go towards your grade, not that you shouldn't be doing any full stop.

They still have an obligation to provide you with education and you're still a student.
NathanAtro3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Drewski)
That Government advice just means the work can't go towards your grade, not that you shouldn't be doing any full stop.

They still have an obligation to provide you with education and you're still a student.
But we don't get penalised for not doing it. The work is basically all about the exam and like i said, i have better things to do with my time that i see as more valuable to my future at uni and work.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I meant the Guardian article
OMG I'm so sorry
daniel.wright243
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
This is the Guardian article that they released today regarding the grades.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...essment-ofqual
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
It was on the government website so I think it’s already been linked.
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?

I just don’t see the point in being set tasks that have no contribution to my grade and having to learn subjects for a curriculum that we’re not finishing and are of no more relevance to my future. I could be sleeping and eating
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
What's alevels do you want to do?
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
It's reasonable for you to get homework since A-level content is based on your already existing GCSE knowledge. I suggest you try to keep going on with homework but maybe only for relevant subjects if you want to be productive + be more relaxed at the same time and you still have summer to relax and focus on yourself
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
SAME !
I want to email my teacher and inform her that her PowerPoint request has been denied but I don’t think she likes me anyway so I aint taking chances with my grade. The assignments are actually so rude at this point, just keeping me unnecessarily frustrated
username4867806
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

Although many schools would be going on study leave soon anyway. Plus, the Easter holidays are coming up. What work would they be setting us other than revision?
MidgetFever
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
At the end of the day they're still obliged to educate you, to some extent. I definitely wouldn't be upset personally if tutors were making the effort to educate me.

Just a heads up, you're going to have to get used to it if you're studying law. You need discipline, you're definitely going to have situations where you feel demotivated as hell and you've got several law firm applications and several deadlines coming up, trust me.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
Although many schools would be going on study leave soon anyway. Plus, the Easter holidays are coming up. What work would they be setting us other than revision?
Potentially interesting and different stuff. Don't just close it down because you think you know better.
username4867806
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Potentially interesting and different stuff. Don't just close it down because you think you know better.
Even though teachers wouldn't be doing this anyway? They should be doing EXTRA work whilst trying to find ways to teach every other year at home?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
Even though teachers wouldn't be doing this anyway? They should be doing EXTRA work whilst trying to find ways to teach every other year at home?
So your alternative is for them to stop doing their job altogether?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (87)
13.94%
I'm not sure (30)
4.81%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (197)
31.57%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.08%
I'm not a current university student (297)
47.6%

Watched Threads