The Student Room Group

Coronavirus may peak on easter sunday

Growing consensus amongst government scientists that the coronavirus outbreak is expected to peak on Sunday, April 12th.

Scroll to see replies

Hopefully, then we can get it over and done with and i can see my grandparents again. I used to see them every Wednesday evening and it was the only thing i looked forward to in the week.
Reply 2
Original post by NathanAtro3
Hopefully, then we can get it over and done with and i can see my grandparents again. I used to see them every Wednesday evening and it was the only thing i looked forward to in the week.

Nope. Just because that's a possible peak doesn't mean we can then relax everything. Should keep it up for a few weeks after that as a minimum.
Original post by Drewski
Nope. Just because that's a possible peak doesn't mean we can then relax everything. Should keep it up for a few weeks after that as a minimum.

Yeah, it would be pointless to end if after the peak. It may not be a peak, more of a "plateu" as in the number of cases doesnt instantly fall, but continues around the same.

May sound premature a minuite or two from name due to figures from DHSC, but considering the number of cases yesterday was virtually the same as the day before barring 6 more, we could already be at that point. I reckon the lockdown will continue to june, though I hope it ends before then
Original post by Drewski

That's what i mean, i'm just saying that if it peaks in easter it should die down earlier overall and we won't have to be in lockdown like all summer.
Original post by NathanAtro3
That's what i mean, i'm just saying that if it peaks in easter it should die down earlier overall and we won't have to be in lockdown like all summer.

I hoep so, though they think social distancing measure aqs a whole may last ot October, but not full lockdown. Who knows though. As long as I can go to the gym and have an oppoirtunnity to properly commemorate the death of my grandad, whose "funeral" was yesterday having lasted a duration of around 3 minutes with no touching and just a few family members. must be even worse for deaths of covid patients who cant even be there
Reply 6
Original post by Ferrograd
Yeah, it would be pointless to end if after the peak. It may not be a peak, more of a "plateu" as in the number of cases doesnt instantly fall, but continues around the same.

May sound premature a minuite or two from name due to figures from DHSC, but considering the number of cases yesterday was virtually the same as the day before barring 6 more, we could already be at that point. I reckon the lockdown will continue to june, though I hope it ends before then

Nah, same happened last week before it jumped again on Sunday and Monday. Wait till you see a long term downward trend of at least 5 or 6 days.
Reply 7
I hoep so, though they think social distancing measure aqs a whole may last ot October, but not full lockdown. Who knows though. As long as I can go to the gym and have an oppoirtunnity to properly commemorate the death of my grandad, whose "funeral" was yesterday having lasted a duration of around 3 minutes with no touching and just a few family members. must be even worse for deaths of covid patients who cant even be there

They can still be there, they're just strictly limited. And of course, if they've been exposed then they must stay in isolation.
I bloody hope the peak is soon. This needs to stop :frown: too much death.
Reply 9
Original post by MrMusician95

~600,000 people die every year in the UK.

Deaths so far have nothing compared to Italy Spain and the USA. USA has 5K dead and they've only just had lockdown measures introduced. In fact the USA has the potential to kill at least 200-240K dead in the US. UK may actually have just a little under 6K dead (5,770). And if that is the case, I hate to sound morbid, but we are halfway there.

I am interested to see how much of an overlap there will be, given many will have in all honesty likely died anyway.

Deaths so far have nothing compared to Italy Spain and the USA. USA has 5K dead and they've only just had lockdown measures introduced. In fact the USA has the potential to kill at least 200-240K dead in the US. UK may actually have just a little under 6K dead (5,770). And if that is the case, I hate to sound morbid, but we are halfway there.

I am interested to see how much of an overlap there will be, given many will have in all honesty likely died anyway.

At this point I'd take 6k deaths. But where did you get that figure? Yeah that's the thing I really want to known how many are "extra" deaths.

At this point I'd take 6k deaths. But where did you get that figure? Yeah that's the thing I really want to known how many are "extra" deaths.

Um, well turns out he changed his mind https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/expert-who-said-uk-death-21777553

Well it says he thinks the daily death toll will peak at 260 a day. So obviously that estimate is wrong.
Growing consensus amongst government scientists that the coronavirus outbreak is expected to peak on Sunday, April 12th.

Ironic, isn't it?

Well it says he thinks the daily death toll will peak at 260 a day. So obviously that estimate is wrong.

Yeah, that was madde before the day it rose by 563. Either way I doubt we will end up as bad as italy or even spain for a multitude of reasons
Reply 16
A fiver says it will peak before then, it's all guesswork to an extent but official forecasts are usually there to be missed and nothing else.
I can’t remember where, but someone said there would be tens of thousands dead from coronavirus in the UK...
Original post by Occitanie
I can’t remember where, but someone said there would be tens of thousands dead from coronavirus in the UK...

Officially, they say less than 20K dead is a "good" result. Had the government not done anything and continued with the ridiculous idea of "herd immunity" we would have had at least 510K dead.

Sweden is now following this logic. It will be interesting to see how they fare. If they end up well, maybe we can revert to something like hem
Reply 19

Depends where in the country you are. Peak is likely to take at least 4 weeks to pass.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending