The Student Room Group

HPV vaccine and GW

I have unfortunately had a small lump down there for the past four years. Initially didn't think anything about it, just split from my bf and was off travelling. Fast forward four years later I went to the clinic to get checked, and because I have had the vaccine they never tested me for HPV. Since going there, there is another lump and I have done a self test with a private clinic, still awaiting results. Has anyone else got HPV despite the vaccine? I wrongly assumed I was ok, but it doesn't seem that way.
Are you saying you think they are genital warts? It is definitely possible to get genital warts even if you've had the vaccine as there are different types of HPV and the vaccine only protects against a few of them.
Reply 2
Yes, pretty convinced. I am slightly discouraged by the fact that the clinic didn't test me given that they did examine me. Suppose I am just unlucky!
Original post by Anonymous
Yes, pretty convinced. I am slightly discouraged by the fact that the clinic didn't test me given that they did examine me. Suppose I am just unlucky!

It depends on the service. A lot of services arent commissioned to just test for HPV, as the virus can be spontaneously cleared by the body. As said above theres over 40 strains of HPV, the cervical screening looks for the strains that could lead to cell changes leading to cervical cancer, genital warts are a different couple of strains. If the clinic examined you and didnt offer you treatment for genital warts, they're unlikely to be genital warts as they are highly trained professionals who see warts everyday. Once its there, we cant do anything to get rid of the virus so wheres the logic in testing for it without symptoms/manifestations.
Reply 4
Yes I totally understand. I had gone in with visible symptoms so thought they might have tested me?
Original post by Anon51
Yes I totally understand. I had gone in with visible symptoms so thought they might have tested me?

If you present with genital warts, we dont need to test to be able to diagnose and treat 🙂
Reply 6
Ah ok that’s good to know, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest