The Student Room Group

Coronavirus: Is your university using a no detriment policy?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Meowstic
"Arrangements for Part II entry will be similar to normal but selection for those subjects which are oversubscribed will need to be different this year; details of how this will be achieved will be communicated to you when they have been agreed."

:laugh: in other words, 'we haven't got a scooby how we're going to do this yet'.
Original post by ElonDeadDear
Cambridge has 'safety net' for us finalists; since most people won't have any significant assessments throughout the year, we don't really have a current average, but with the new policy we can't get a grade lower than our 2nd year grade. such a relief

Are they using supervision reports at all?
Original post by Reality Check
Are they using supervision reports at all?

not for us architects
University of Sheffield has implemented a no detriment policy as of a few days ago.

I do have a question though, if anyone knows/can provide some insight. Not sure if it's a stupid one but - Hypothetically, if you get awarded a grade lower than your average grade, will it still appear on your transcript as the lower grade or will it appear as your average? (Considering that you can't fall below your average)
Original post by ROC10
So, the Uni of Edinburgh have really impressed me today and I felt it appropriate to share on here. They sent out an email saying that any further assessment this semester (exams or other summative coursework) cannot negatively affect our existing degree average. Instead, these assessments can help us improve our average but they will not be detrimental and any grades which would reduce our average will be dropped from the classification calculation.
EDIT: I believe Exeter have announced a similar process but I’m not aware of any other unis doing this yet.

Can confirm that Exeter Uni have adopted the same policy
Wish my uni adopted this policy as well :frown:
I think it's wrong that some unis do and some don't adopt this policy - they should at least all do the same thing for most subjects.
Is it a poor argument to suggest that universities should just give us our average grade from semester 1? And for students who are unhappy with their grade, can continue the semester 2 assignments like normal? Alternatively, alter the way that the degree is assessed taking into account more of second year performance?

I'd appreciate my above suggestions being invalidated because I'm being completely biased haha. If my suggestions sound valid then I'm going to be even more unmotivated than I currently am. My average grade from semester 1 was well above 70%, but my track record throughout uni has always been consistent and I've never failed anything. I'd even accept a 2:1 if I had to, just to be done with it all.

It's fair to say that the value of degrees this year will be worth even less than they are on "average" years, so what is the incentive for universities to attempt to continue operations as normal as possible? There's no reliable way to quantify just how negatively the pandemic will affect everybody involved, but common sense suggests it will be a considerable amount.
Reply 28
Imperial are just setting timed remote exams and doing everything else as usual
My uni has decided to pass all first years onto the second year so i have finished now. No idea whats happening to the second or third year students yet
LSE have not implemented this, I wish they would but tbh they've been slow to re-organise exams etc. We still aren't sure when exams are, their format, or any changes
They have said markers will take into account the situation, but I can't help but feel that is more geared towards international students who have had to travel back rather than UK students.
Poll added. :blow:
Reply 32
Does this mean that our average from semester 1 and other assignments before covid will be our overall grade for the year unless our current assignment grades raise it?
Original post by sayped
Does this mean that our average from semester 1 and other assignments before covid will be our overall grade for the year unless our current assignment grades raise it?

Yes, if your university is following that policy of course.
Not at Suffolk
Only dissertation has been extended by a week. As for my essays, they still need to be complete and submitted on the original date.
(edited 3 years ago)
Really? Sadly no
Original post by sayped

Exeter are taking into account all assignments/essays/exams completed up until March 15th to give students a grade. This is now their mimimum grade although it can go up if they get grades higher than that average in their final essays/exams.
Original post by harrysbar
Exeter are taking into account all assignments/essays/exams completed up until March 15th to give students a grade. This is now their mimimum grade although it can go up if they get grades higher than that average in their final essays/exams.

This is what’s happening at my uni, they’ll be issuing more information on Monday. It’s a good thing I got a first overall last semester (second year) but it sucks because I know a lot of people found the exams difficult and only just passed. How would this apply to those who need to do re-sits?
Original post by Anonymous
This is what’s happening at my uni, they’ll be issuing more information on Monday. It’s a good thing I got a first overall last semester (second year) but it sucks because I know a lot of people found the exams difficult and only just passed. How would this apply to those who need to do re-sits?

I can't say for other unis but I know that at Exeter all people need to do is pass the online exams in May (40%) and the average stays the same. But if they get less than 40% they will have failed and so still need to do resits in August I guess
Reply 39
Original post by Mumofson
What universities have offered no detriment and which ones haven’t ? Seems so unfair they can choose their own policy.

Greenwich has offered it

Quick Reply