The Student Room Group

year 10 students

what will happen to year 10 students? we will be lucky is school opens in September, but it will probably be later tbh. That means we will be missing out of MONTHS of study and we will be in no shape or form to do the exam in MAY. and certain subjects that im taking for example the OCR sports studies, we are doing our exams in JANUARY. if we open in September that only gives us 4 months (not including Christmas holidays) to learn and revise the entire syllabus and content! Not to mention that a lot of subjects require coursework, which will be hard to do without teacher feedback etc. I know we can just self learn and stuff, but its not the same and a lot of my teachers cannot work out how to use things online.
To begin with: where have you heard that schools won't open in September? In countries in Asia (namely China) - and even some in Europe (Denmark) - services are opening up, or at least planning to very gradually over the next few weeks. It is incredibly unlikely that schools and other services won't open by the new academic year.

Secondly, you won't be missing out on much if you do the work your school sets now as well as your own revision - I wouldn't worry too much. If you need any help with resources and stuff let me know, I'm in year 11 and don't mind helping out. Plenty of people pay no attention in year 10 (I'm not condoning this!) yet get their heads down in year 11 and achieve 5s and 6s - maybe even 7s - by the summer.

Finally, your school will be able to enter you for OCR Sports Science in May/June 2021 rather than January 2021 if needs be... so don't panic!

Enjoy your Easter holiday and get back to work in two weeks time :smile:
Reply 2
first of all im aiming for grades 8 and 9s not to sound obnoxious or anything like that... so I really don't think we would have enough time tbh
You should be being set work to do at home- if you are not, I would get your parents to speak to the school after Easter. I think lots of schools are putting better plans into place for after Easter. This will have to be more self directed than usual, but you should be able to get teacher support via email, and learning to work in a self directed way will help in the long run.

Everyone is in the same boat, so grade boundaries next year will reflect this.

If schools don't go back in September, then I would expect some consideration for your year group- e.g. the format of exams may be changed slightly. However, if we go with Arlene Foster's 16 weeks, then we could see schools going back for a few weeks before the summer holidays.

I know this is tough, but try not to panic- if your year group are severely affected then I am sure a plan will be put in place.

Quick Reply

Latest