anilaaaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
so I need to apply for student finance but I didn't have a bank account so I went to the bank but since the coronavirus situation, the bank said they are only doing emergency cash in and out so how should I go about this situation? I was thinking of going to the bank again and telling them that making my bank account is an emergency since it is for uni. But I don't know if they will make me a bank account and the deadline for student finance is coming very close. please can I get some advice on this
Keele University
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,

Have you looked at opening a bank account online at all? It may take a few more days to come through but you have until next month before student finance applications should ideally be submitted before!

^Rose
anilaaaa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Keele University)
Hi there,

Have you looked at opening a bank account online at all? It may take a few more days to come through but you have until next month before student finance applications should ideally be submitted before!

^Rose
what is the procedure to apply online for a bank account? Also, this is going to be my first bank account so can I still apply online?
Keele University
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Yes you can still do it even if its your first bank account! Do you know which bank it is that you're planning on opening up with? I currently have information for Santander as they're a good bank for students, but I can try find info for another bank if you like! It's pretty simple from what I remember

^Rose
anilaaaa
Rep:
?
Yes you can still do it even if its your first bank account! Do you know which bank it is that you're planning on opening up with? I currently have information for Santander as they're a good bank for students, but I can try find info for another bank if you like! It's pretty simple from what I remember

^Rose
Thank you so much for your reply I am thinking of planning to open up with Barclay
Keele University
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
That's no problem! And oh brilliant, here's some info I found for a barclays student bank account - you of course don't have to open a student one, but it allows you to get an interest free arranged overdraft and other benefits too😊 here's the link for applying and such: https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-a...udent-account/

^Rose
anilaaaa
Rep:
?
That's no problem! And oh brilliant, here's some info I found for a barclays student bank account - you of course don't have to open a student one, but it allows you to get an interest free arranged overdraft and other benefits too😊 here's the link for applying and such: https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-a...udent-account/

^Rose
Thank you for this information. have u got any information about how I can make a normal first-time bank account with Barclays and not a student one? Also if I make a student bank account now is it possible to change from a student bank account later on? once again thank you for your responses I really appreciate it
Keele University
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by anilaaaa)
Thank you for this information. have u got any information about how I can make a normal first-time bank account with Barclays and not a student one? Also if I make a student bank account now is it possible to change from a student bank account later on? once again thank you for your responses I really appreciate it
You'd just need to get in contact with your local branch of Barclays (or contact them via phone/internet banking). The staff there will be able to tell you about the different current accounts they offer and which one would be best for you. You'll need to provide some ID and probably go into a branch to fully open an account but the Barclays staff will be able to tell you more.

Your student account usually automatically converts to a graduate or a standard bank account when you graduate, depending on the bank. My HSBC account was a student account whilst I was an undergraduate, then became a graduate account for 2 years, then a standard bank account after that. You can probably also request to change it to a standard bank account but you'd need to check with the bank.

Amy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (20)
29.41%
No - I have already returned home (8)
11.76%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (14)
20.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (5)
7.35%
No - I live at home during term anyway (21)
30.88%

Watched Threads