The Student Room Group

Car insurance

Hi
I’m nearly 19 (female if that makes a difference?) from NI and have held a full drivers license since October 2018.

I was wondering when getting car insurance is it cheaper to put student or student teacher after indicating I’m at uni? (I have just finished my first year on a primary education course - just outside of Edinburgh)

I don’t have any No Claims Discount but have been on insurance for parents car every so often.

Or even if anyone has an idea of what the price would be annually/how to get cheaper quotes?

(Prob like a Ford Fiesta/Focus)
Original post by Letmesleep
Hi
I’m nearly 19 (female if that makes a difference?) from NI and have held a full drivers license since October 2018.

I was wondering when getting car insurance is it cheaper to put student or student teacher after indicating I’m at uni? (I have just finished my first year on a primary education course - just outside of Edinburgh)

I don’t have any No Claims Discount but have been on insurance for parents car every so often.

Or even if anyone has an idea of what the price would be annually/how to get cheaper quotes?

(Prob like a Ford Fiesta/Focus)

'Student teacher' isn't a thing. If you've finished uni but haven't got a job, then you're just unemployed. If you are currently employed in a school as an NQT - you could then validly just put 'Primary Teacher'.

Costs: bloody expensive, it seems. I see posts regularly £1K plus for the first year. @IWMTom will know much better than me on first-year insurance averages. My first policy was £175 fully comp :creep:
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
'Student teacher' isn't a thing. If you've finished uni but haven't got a job, then you're just unemployed. If you are currently employed in a school as an NQT - you could then validly just put 'Primary Teacher'.

Costs: bloody expensive, it seems. I see posts regularly £1K plus for the first year. @IWMTom will know much better than me on first-year insurance averages. My first policy was £175 fully comp :creep:

Ok cheers
What if you’re maybe a part time sales assistant? Does that make a difference
Ok cheers
What if you’re maybe a part time sales assistant? Does that make a difference

You're often asked if you have another job in addition to your 'main' one, and you'd put down 'retail assistant' or whatever the nearest job description is if that is the case. If you're only asked for one job, then it would be much better to classify yourself as a 'part-time retail assistant' than 'unemployed' from a premium point of view.

If you're going to use the car for travelling to and from a single place of work, select SDP and Commuting as the class of use.
Reply 4

There usually is an option for Full Time Education / Student rather than having to declare unemployed.

I'll use my usual mantra of no one can tell the OP how much their insurance will be - they should obtain quotes through the major comparison websites and play around with them (within reason).
Reply 5
You're often asked if you have another job in addition to your 'main' one, and you'd put down 'retail assistant' or whatever the nearest job description is if that is the case. If you're only asked for one job, then it would be much better to classify yourself as a 'part-time retail assistant' than 'unemployed' from a premium point of view.

If you're going to use the car for travelling to and from a single place of work, select SDP and Commuting as the class of use.

That’s great thanks
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
There usually is an option for Full Time Education / Student rather than having to declare unemployed.

I'll use my usual mantra of no one can tell the OP how much their insurance will be - they should obtain quotes through the major comparison websites and play around with them (within reason).

Okey dokey

Obviously when you’re trying to gather quotes you’ve to give an email or whatever. Do the companies spam you after sending you the quotes? That’s one of the reasons I’m wary of doing it as I already get too many emails

I prob won’t get a car till next year when I’ll be 20 but that’ll mean I still won’t have any NCD, but because I’m slightly older would it potentially affect the price or is it still not really a considerable drop until like 25 ish ?
Thanks btw
Reply 7
Okey dokey

Obviously when you’re trying to gather quotes you’ve to give an email or whatever. Do the companies spam you after sending you the quotes? That’s one of the reasons I’m wary of doing it as I already get too many emails

I prob won’t get a car till next year when I’ll be 20 but that’ll mean I still won’t have any NCD, but because I’m slightly older would it potentially affect the price or is it still not really a considerable drop until like 25 ish ?
Thanks btw

You could always just use one of the many throwaway email services online.
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom

Fair
Original post by IWMTom

I wouldn't do this with sites which have your sensitive info.

I'd use a dedicated spam e-mail of mine for quotes. Everyone should have this.

@8472, can you get this moved to cars and motoring.
Or you could just uncheck the box which asks if you are happy to be contacted.
The quotes from comparison sites tend to expire after a fortnight or so, so you hear very little if anything from them after that. That’s been my experience with compare the market anyway.
Original post by Golubsti
Or you could just uncheck the box which asks if you are happy to be contacted.

I'm with Confused.com normally but yeah, i'll always uncheck those boxes...otherwise i'll get a flurry of phonecalls/texts after every single damn quote. (often even if I make it clear I DO NOT OWN the vehicle i'm quoting for they'll try and sell me it anyway :rolleyes: )

Quick Reply

Latest