The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Is English language and linguistics at QMUL very scientific?

Hi! Looking for a student who studies linguistics at QMUL or has more knowledge on this to inform me!
In the taster class, they were using equipment and EEG’s but I’m more interested in analysing texts, not the scientific side really!
Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Looking for a student who studies linguistics at QMUL or has more knowledge on this to inform me!
In the taster class, they were using equipment and EEG’s but I’m more interested in analysing texts, not the scientific side really!
Any advice?

Hi !,
I am a current Queen Mary university student who studied BA English language and linguistics, I have just finished my first year and I can tell you one thing I didn't expect was how scientific it would be in queen Mary's they are definitely more scientific than kings or so. In first year you look at the basics so you look at foundations of language, phonology, sounds of English, syntax, and a few more EVEN THOUGH they are science related I must stress that it is really interesting as someone who prefers the English language side more in first year we look at animal language and how animals communicate we look at brain damage briefly and how that affects language it is interesting! in second year you have a bit more freedom to pick your course so I picked more English language courses such as language and the media, language and the mind, socio variation. additionally I have made a youtube video providing a campus tour and any questions you may want answering! so please do check it out!
https://youtu.be/9qe8vVKryNA

Please feel free to message me here for any questions
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending